General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike wont idle

so i got my bike fired up and running pretty good. i just cant take the choke off all the way. if i pull the choke it dies. i have tried adusting the idle but it doesnt make any difference it just dies. any help, i am dying to go riding!

Old 05-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bike wont idle

So the bike revs ok, but just won't idle? If you changed the spark plugs, checked the ignition timing with a timing light, and replaced the fuel filter, you may have to clean the carbs. Two things in the carbs affect idle. The pilot screw and the slow jet. The slow jets, in the float chamber, have the thickness of a human hair inside and clog easily. The pilot screws are on the outside of the carbs, but the two and three carb's screws are very difficult to get to with the carbs on the bike. Plus, if you tighten the pilot screws too tight they will break and then you can throw the carbs in the trash. But if you have the shop manual, it is quite simple to clean the carbs.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 PM

ok, so i have a few questions. on my carbs, where the float bowl contacts the carbs, it looks like there is a sealant holding the two togethor. is this normal? also, if i do get the carbs apart, how difficult is it and what tools would i need to resynchronize them? this is the only thing holding me back from cleaning the carbs myself.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Should just be a thin gasket or o-ring at the float chamber, but you have to clean the vacuum chambers on top too. To sync the carbs, I use a mercury stix like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/carb-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-02-2006, 04:41 PM

how am i supposed to clean the vacuum chambers? i have had them off along with the spring, and jet needle. they didnt seem dirty at all. and at what point does resyncing the carbs become necessary, what action involves them to need to be resynced? can i clean certain parts without having to resync them?

Old 05-02-2006, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

how am i supposed to clean the vacuum chambers? i have had them off along with the spring, and jet needle. they didnt seem dirty at all.
The spring and jet needle are usually the only things that are clean. The sides of the plastic piston have to be squeeky clean, as well as the walls they rub against. Also, the jets under the diaphram are air transfers that have to be clean. And one of the jets that goes into the choke chamber (after you hold the choke open with your thumb), has to be clean. Plus, when you put the top on, you have to put some Vaseline in the groove where the edge of the diaphram goes. It holds the edge while you put it together. An air leak here will mess up all the good work you did. I usually use a whole can of carb spray to clean all four carbs, (wear eye protection) but try not to get any on the rubber diaphram.