CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

bike wont start/run/idle with choke off..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks but no start.. what could it be?

hey guys. i would like to apologize for being a noob but i have no other option. I just bought a 94 cbr f2 non running. it cranks. battery seems strong. previous owner already put on a gsxr 750 R/R. so now im just confused on what the problem can be. there is gas in the tank and i tried starting it on res. but still no start. just cranking and cranking.. any ideas? i know its really broad but i just bought this bike i have no idea what caused it to stop in the first place. thanks for any help.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check that the kill switch is not set to "off"

Check that you're in neutral with the kickstand down, and have the clutch pulled in

Check for spark

Check the gas, be sure it's fresh and that it is flowing

Be sure not to crank the starter for more than 5 seconds at a time, allowing it to cool off for at least 30 seconds between cranking, and if it's not firing there's a problem that continuous cranking will not solve.

If it has been sitting for a long period of time, the carbs will need to be cleaned and sync'd.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hershey
Check that the kill switch is not set to "off"

Check that you're in neutral with the kickstand down, and have the clutch pulled in

Check for spark

Check the gas, be sure it's fresh and that it is flowing

Be sure not to crank the starter for more than 5 seconds at a time, allowing it to cool off for at least 30 seconds between cranking, and if it's not firing there's a problem that continuous cranking will not solve.

If it has been sitting for a long period of time, the carbs will need to be cleaned and sync'd.
+1 for hersh, again!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it ever pop like a backfire or anything, my bike did the same thing, i changed the plugs and added fresh fuel and it ran just fine after that

Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 AM

i spent the wholeee day today tryin to figure out whats wrong.. this is what i have concluded; since it IS a carbed bike theres no fuel pump. the first thing i checked is the gas in the tank.. plenty. then i took off the tank and fairings and looked at the carbs...threw in some carb cleaner and tried it again and it fired right up for a few seconds. so that automatically got me thinkin its the fuel lines or the carb itself. i took off all the hoses from the tank to the carbs and blew some compressed air into it. all good. next i connected the fuel lines to just the carbs and shot some carb cleaner in there then blew some compressed air into the other end of the line thats supposed to hook up to the gas tank. only 2 jets were shooting out fuel. so i just finished cleanin my carbs a few min ago.. so now im just waitin for tmrw to put everything back together to see if it works..

wish me luck!! =]

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 AM

She's allivveee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 AM
Default bike wont start/run/idle with choke off..

bought this bike NOT RUNNING. wasnt running because the jets were clogged.. cleaned them out.. now bike runs. but will NOT run with the choke off. so i have to ride with the choke on. why?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Have you tried adjusting your idle ****? On my F2 the **** is loose and freely spins from vibration and when I come to a stop it could be a few hundred rpms above or below normal. when it is below she don't want to stay running so i make a quick adjustment and away she goes!

My $0.02...

BTW where are your rpms when you have it choked and it is at idle?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by amRRussel
Have you tried adjusting your idle ****? On my F2 the **** is loose and freely spins from vibration and when I come to a stop it could be a few hundred rpms above or below normal. when it is below she don't want to stay running so i make a quick adjustment and away she goes!

My $0.02...

BTW where are your rpms when you have it choked and it is at idle?
hmmm i will actuallly try that later when i go to school.. with the choke on my bike idles at around 2 grand.. roughly around there.. and low rpms are very sluggish...

Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The carbs are not 100% clean, slow speed circuit still gummed up.

Cant remember if you said you did not use compressed air, but it's a must for carb cleaning

Quick Reply: bike wont start/run/idle with choke off..