General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!

i got a great deal on this 01 cbr 600 f4i last night. its only got 900 miles, its been sitting in storage its whole life. the guy i bought it from stored it with a full tank of gas for 2 years. he put in a new bat. and changed all the fluids (so he says). the bike wont start. it just keeps turning over. when i turn on the electricity i don't hear the buzzz of the fuel pump. i just hear a click. i took the tank off and the air box to get to the 4 stacks. i poured some gas in each stack, let the throttle open, pressed the start button and she fired right up. so im pretty sure the problem is the fuel pump. this is my first fuel injected bike so i wanna make sure its actually the fuel pump before i go ahead and drop $400.00 for a new one... anyone wanna help me verify the source of this problem? thanks a lot in advance

Old 09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

is the kill switch in the correct position ? do you headlights and speedometer come on ?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 PM

yes and yes

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was in storage, are you sure that mice didn't chew through the wires to the fuel pump maybe?
Does the fuel pump work when you hook it up to power by itself?

Old 09-29-2009, 01:10 PM

how can i tell if the fuel pump works ? the buzzing noise that i dont hear when i turn the bikes electrical on? is that what ur talking about

Old 09-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator - Retired

No, I was thinking more along the lines of checking the power from the relay to the pump to make sure you have 12V or putting 12V to the pump itself and seeing if you have fuel from the delivery line.
I would think, though, that if you don't have the buzz, that it's not working. BUT, it doesn't mean that the pump isn't good. It could mean you aren't getting power to it..... ie a break in the wire to or from the relay.
You say that you hear the relay click, so it's probably not the relay itself.

I would start by checking to see if you have 12V going to the pump.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 years with gas in it? Have you checked the fuel filter? It's prolly completely stuffed. Dunno if it can get bad enough so the fuel pump can't pull gas from the tank. Mine was almost completely clogged though after a year +.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM

might be the fuel filter. idk its at the shop now, shouldn't be something very costly right?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 PM

Shouldn't be, but if it's at the shop . . . it will be.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, gas that's sat for 2 years prolly went bad. So you've prolly got that stuff gumming up things all through the fuel system.

Hard to say what the shop will charge. Depends heavily on how honest they are. With only 900 miles on her, I doubt HEAVILY anything actually broke. Parts generally don't break from sitting. They break from getting used. If you're at an honest shop, I'd expect to see a bill for mostly labor and < $10 parts (hoses, fuel filter). Biggest ticket items that could appear are spark plugs and air filter

Quick Reply: bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!