General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike runs for 10 miles then dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010 | 04:26 PM
|
Default bike runs for 10 miles then dies

Mods, I meant to put this thread in the general tech forum, not the hurricane forum. Sorry for the double post.

Hello guys. This is my first thread here. I have an 88 hurricane 600 that I put a new engine into last week. I got the bike running, but had a nasty rock knock. I pulled that engine out and put in a donor engine. It runs and starts great.

The problem that I have is that it dies after about 10 minutes of riding. It has done this to me two days in a row. I just got it titled last week so I have not put many miles on it yet.

I took it for a ride yesterday and it started up and ran great. It shifted great and had good power. I was riding through the country roads with a speed of 45-55 mph. It ran good for about 10 miles then it starts to hesitate, and surge a little bit. Then when I came to a stop the bike stalled and would not start.

I had to engage the choke and it would start again, but it ran horribly. It was bogging, and made absolutely no power. I was able to ride back home but it was tricky. I had to slip the clutch and give it like 5k rpms just get going from a light. Once you are moving it will only go about 35 in 2nd gear, even if you have the throttle pegged. Even if you pull in the clutch it wont do anything.

Do you guys have any idea where I should start? Like I said it runs great and makes awesome power until this happens.

thanks for the help

EDIT- it has all fresh gas in it, and the tank vent is working. When it staled, I opened the tank and it didnt change anything.The R/R is putting out good voltage too.

Old 05-19-2010 | 04:52 PM

Sound like you may have sucked some trash out of the tank into the carbs or maybe the inline filter.....if their is one.

Old 05-19-2010 | 06:35 PM

this EXACT same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, lol i know what you mean when u say u got home but it was tricky.

like bigboi said, maybe a little jizzoli found its way into the carbs, spray some carb cleaner into the top of them, then maybe get a gas additive carb cleaner and add the appropriat ammount to a full tank you can buy both at pepboys

i used berrymans chemtool carb cleaner spray for where the air comes into the carbs, then i attacked it even further by going through the fuel lines with the gas additive carb cleaner, figured it would be best to attack at both angles, might be just redindant but whatever the case is my bike works perfect now

good luck

Old 05-19-2010 | 10:51 PM

very similar situation happened to me. it was just one of my floats getting stuck and over flowing. and mine also needed a lot of throttle to get going. i world say clean the float assembly very well.

Old 05-19-2010 | 11:37 PM

It sounds like a fuel starvation issue for sure. Especially if you had to choke it to get it to start again. My first thought would have been tank vent, but you already checked that.

Have you checked the petcock? You may want to pull it and make sure the screen is not plugged. Also, before you do that, pull the fuel line from the carbs, let it drain into a gas can. Just let it continuously flow out and keep a close eye on it. Its possible you may see the flow rate slow down. Also, there should be a good amount of fuel flowing from the line.

I would also check to make sure your carb vent lines are clear. If they are plugged up or kinked, the gas will not flow into the bowl as easy and can starve the carbs for gas.

If you have a fuel pump on the bike, bypass it by running the tank line directly to the carb rack and see the problem disapears. You will probably have to fill the tank up though to get the most of the gravity effect.

Old 05-25-2010 | 04:01 PM
|

thanks guys. I tried to clean the carbs and they were good. the filter is new and the lines are clean. I think I have narrowed it down to the pump.

I pulled the plastic cap off the back of it and you can see that the contacts are not touching and sparking. I take it this means my pump is bad? It will idle fine but if I take it for a spin around the block and give it gas it dies out. I believe this is because the bowls cant fill back up with gas fast enough

is there a way to adjust the contacts like you would adjust points like in a distributor? Or is the pump just bad.

Old 05-25-2010 | 05:37 PM
|

thanks for the help guys. I got it up and running this afternoon. Then I took it out for a spin and the cam chain broke.

Anyone want to buy a 88 hurricane?

Old 05-25-2010 | 06:54 PM
June 2010 ROTM

if it has a filter repalace it-happend to me the same way a few years back