General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike primed all power then went to start and all died.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike primed all power then went to start and all died.

Ok so here it goes, went for a nice ride and stpped to get some food. Turned the old baby on (02 F4i) cluster lit up ike normal, it primed and was ready for the start. Hit the starter and the old girl died right there. The starter went one round and nothing, no lights no cluster no prime nothing. turn the ignition of and then back on and nothing again, looked as though the cluster started and then dimmed to nothing. Got a boost from a car (car off), fired up and primed like a charm. As soon as the cables are taken off she dies. take the battery out check the reading on the battery and it tells me around 12 v?????

Anyone have similar issues, CAA worked great no charge for a tow but it's in my garage for the time being as no shops open. Anyone have any ideas, stator maybe, battery simply not have enough juice to get the starter going?? After hooked up to another bike for a boost it lights up as normal but not enough to get it going???

Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike primed all power then went to start and all died.

Turns out it was the battery, guess it only had on last shot before quiting on me. My battery is a 12v, 8+ amp, with nothing to go to the starter. When my battery was hooked up nothing workedeven though the battery was showing as having a charge, little ocer 12.5v,keeping in mind it is 6 years old. The other batteryI tried was only 5 amp, 12 v, had enough to turn the starter but not enough to get it going. New battery put in started up like a charm. Check it and while running shows 14.3~ so I know its charging ad when not running just shy of 13v. Have to check a few other things just to make sure but t looks good. Hope this may help someone with a similar problem.