General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike jack or stands

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike jack or stands

Hi y'all, I have a 2000 CBR600 F4 and want to replace the fork spring soon, so I need to somehow get the front end off the ground. I have a rear stand and don't think that's gonna help much.... I have seen motorcycle jack at local hardware store but they look more for dirt bikes, I know you can buy front stand that supports the lower triple. But I dont know if its gonna hold the weight of the bike when I take the forks out. I was wondering if anyone here has some engenius cheap solutions that will do the trick and keep the cost low. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeetech
Hi y'all, I have a 2000 CBR600 F4 and want to replace the fork spring soon, so I need to somehow get the front end off the ground. I have a rear stand and don't think that's gonna help much.... I have seen motorcycle jack at local hardware store but they look more for dirt bikes, I know you can buy front stand that supports the lower triple. But I dont know if its gonna hold the weight of the bike when I take the forks out. I was wondering if anyone here has some engenius cheap solutions that will do the trick and keep the cost low. Thanks.

Stands that support the lower part of the triple are ideal, if it is not an ebay pile of monkey **** made out of coat hangers and copper pipe it will hold a bike fine.

What I do is put the bike on it's centre stand and ratchet the rear wheel to a big bolt in the ground. Turning your foot pegs upside down means you can support the middle of the bike on axle stands, also you can jack the bike under the downpipes if it is on a centre stand.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
Stands that support the lower part of the triple are ideal, if it is not an ebay pile of monkey **** made out of coat hangers and copper pipe it will hold a bike fine.

What I do is put the bike on it's centre stand and ratchet the rear wheel to a big bolt in the ground. Turning your foot pegs upside down means you can support the middle of the bike on axle stands, also you can jack the bike under the downpipes if it is on a centre stand.
too bad my bike doesnt have a centre stand.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Pit Bull stands (front & rear) together to do fork work. However any quality front & rear stands will do the job. The front stand needs to be the type that lifts from the lower triple. There is no problem w/ bike stability.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a hydralic lift under the center of the bike for front-end/engine work. I like the whole 'not bending over' thing.

Rear stand for tire/chain/quicky-type jobs.

Ern