General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike hesitation after new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike hesitation after new clutch

I noticed the bike had a hesitation to it recently, as I shifted gears and gave it throttle, it would rev up and the rpms and rpm needle would rise but then drop down quickly and catch. I also noticed the same day that the clutch was letting out much further than I was accustomed too. I had it set before to where it was a little less than halfway pulled in before shifting. I took the cover off the right side and pulled the springs, fiber disks and plates out. All of it needed to be replaced so I went ahead and and did that, sealed up the cover and took it out for a ride. Bike did fine for about 20 minutes and then after pulling away from a stop sign the bike started doing the same thing again. Any ideas? I changed the rear tire before this started and that's the only thing that I have done recently to it.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM

This is an 03 cbr 600rr by the way.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 PM

Do you know what kind of oil is in the engine? Not sure if it's a new(er) bike to you or not, but if someone used energy conserving automotive type oil in it that could cause the clutch to slip. Also make sure the engagement/adjustment is correct so the clutch is fully engaged before the lever is completely released. I'm not sure if the clutch system in your bike is cable or hydraulic actuated, but if it's not adjusted correctly that could also cause slipping when the lever is released. The rear tire replacement should not be a contributing factor to this problem..

Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 AM

I run Honda Pro GN4. Always have. The system is cable..how do I go about checking the engagement. I had to loosen the clutch cable near the cover in order to get the cover off and now it seems as though that is tighter than it was before. Is that more than likely the issue? original clutch cable and has 23k miles on it. Time for a new one perhaps?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I would readjust the cable per the manual a second time and clean/lube the cable. Remember the biggest sign of a worn out cable is the clutch won't disengage.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Yes make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly by the manual first and that the cable is in good condition. With all brand new clutch components there isn't much else that can cause your problem unless something was installed incorrectly.