General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike dies 09 cbr 600rr

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike dies 09 cbr 600rr

Ok so I was riding and came to a red light the bike dies and throws a oil light and will not start. I push it to a nearby parking lot try starting it again and nothing. I let it sit for a few minutes try starting it and it cranks for about 2 seconds and dies again. I sit for about 10 minutes and try it, it cranks up, I drive around the building back to another redlight and it dies again. I sit for about 15 minutes and try it, it cranks and I drive for about 4 miles to my wife's work, cut it off go in talk to her and come back out, it won't start at all fuel pump is priming but it just turns over, I wiggle every wire I can get to I don't have any tools with me to take
fairings fairings
off. Still nothing. After trying and trying for an hour I reach down pull the boot off the spark plug(they are new) plug it back in and it cranks, I let it idle for a minute and cut it off, crank it again. By this time my wife is about to get off work so I just wait on her (the bike hasn't moved) I start it back up when we start to leave and it dies again, it started back up and I got it home I took back roads so I didn't have to stop. Any ideas? I'm not a mechanic but I do my own work for the most part

Old 04-13-2017, 02:30 AM

An issue like this could have multiple causes - however the first thing that I would check is the regulator rectifier - it sounds like it might have failed - replacing it is relatively easy - just unbolt it and plug in the replacement.

Hondas are very reliable motorcycles however the regulator rectifier is a known weak spot and regulator rectifier failure is not uncommon.

It is possible to test the regulator rectifier with a multimeter for definitive proof that it has failed.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM

How do I go about checking it? Others have said kill switch having a bad connection at the contact point

Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You're not having a charging issue... If you were, you would have killed the battery... When you said the fuel pump was priming, did you turn the ignition on, let the pump prime, and hear it stop priming before you tried to start it? The pump primes until it builds rail pressure, then turns off. If it doesn't stop after a few seconds, your fpr is likely the culprit. Without the correct rail pressure you could be having intermittent issues like you're experiencing.

Did it have a real choppy idle before you had this happen to you?

Old 04-13-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
You're not having a charging issue... If you were, you would have killed the battery... When you said the fuel pump was priming, did you turn the ignition on, let the pump prime, and hear it stop priming before you tried to start it? The pump primes until it builds rail pressure, then turns off. If it doesn't stop after a few seconds, your fpr is likely the culprit. Without the correct rail pressure you could be having intermittent issues like you're experiencing.

Did it have a real choppy idle before you had this happen to you?

no no it ran fine and just died. And yes it stops priming after I turn the ignition on