General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike accident :( Dont know if i should ride again. HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I was in the same boat a few years ago. Due to inexperience(riding on a permit only), and WAAAYY to much bike, I low-sided my brand spanking new Buell XB-12r into a ditch shattering both fibula and tibia. I spent 1 week in the hospital, and almost lost my left leg below the knee. The bike was fixed up good as new insurance, and sitting the garage waiting for me when I got home. The problem is, I couldnt even look at it.

So in the time of going from bed, to couch, to physical therapy, to crutches, to cane, and a year and a half later, a permanent limp, I struggled with your question SEVERAL times a day. I literally battled myself. A morbid side of me even scoured the internet looking for all the m/c accident pics and stories I could find to justify giving it up. I had pretty bad nightmares, which thinking back, might have been some kind of PTSD.

But in the end, once I was able to, I pulled the trigger on a used Ninja 500. I let it set in the garage till I completed my MSF. I'm not gonna lie, the first time on it, I could literally hear my elbows and knees shaking, but I never looked back.

Everyday I ride, I know I made the right choice. I looked at it like this- That accident cost me the ability to run or play any kind of sports ever again, cost me our new house, new cars, and bike(disability doesn't pay dick, we eventually claimed bankruptcy), and almost cost my marriage due to financial stress and depression. I'll be god damned If I'm gonna take that kind of hit and just walk away. Probably doesn't make much sense and I probably didnt word it right, but it hit me almost like a conviction.

I couldn't even fathom not riding. God, imagine the feeling of walking down the sidewalk on a gorgeous summer afternoon and seeing someone ride past, knowing thats something you'll never do again?