General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bank Angle Sensor/Fuel Pump Not Priming??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bank Angle Sensor/Fuel Pump Not Priming??

2000 cbr929; ok so my pumps not priming...i checked the fuses (under the seat by the battery) is there more elsewhere? none of them were blown. I asked the local mechanic what it could be and he sent me on the bank angle sensor route. ive been all over forums looking up the correct way to bypass it but i just keep getting confused! (YEAH I KNOW ITS NOT SAFE!) there is a white, green, and red wire coming out of it. i cut the outside two wires (red and green) after the connector and spliced them together.....should i cut the white one also?.....or do i leave it and connect the R/G wires. i tried it both ways soo far and NOTHING! am i doing something wrong,. or is it something way different? he also mentioned a fuel cut off relay,.,,.,.what do i do with that???? Please let me know! OR even an educated guess!!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM

I would never suggest cutting wires. the better route would have been to run a jumper wire and plug the jumper wire into the plug. But, since that didnt work by crossing the wires, that would indicate your bas is fine, or at least not the only problem. It should be the two outer wires jumped like you did, so those should be the correct wires to jump. looking at the sevice manual, I dont see anywhere esle a fuse block would be, that should be the only one.

Is there more to the story? was the bike in a crash? or did the pump just quit working?

any more info would be helpful in order for people here to help you diagnosis the problem.

heres a exploded view of the under the seat. dont know if it will help or not.

Attached Thumbnails Bank Angle Sensor/Fuel Pump Not Priming??-929.jpg  
Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 PM

no it wasnt in an accident. For awhile now when i would turn the key on all the lights would come on like it should on the gauges but the pump wouldnt prime. I would turn it off and try it again then the pump would prime, or if it didnt work i would just tap the start switch and it would make the pump work. And sometimes it would work perfect. Well when it finally **** the bed i was clutching it up in second gear as soon as i pop the clutch the bike stalled and wouldnt start back up. It would do that sometimes before but it would start right back up.......I have no idea what it could be!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:54 PM

wow that sucks.

there are few things to look into. One, being the kill switch. That cuts power to the ignition and the fuel pump. Since bumping the starter would get it to work sometimes, it may just be a bad contact inside the switch. Try cycling the killswitch a dozen times or so.

My first step would be to get a volt meter. Unplug your fuel pump and see if there is power making it to your fuel pump. If there is, more than likely the pump is shot. But, just to make extra certain, jump a power and ground wire to your pump and make sure it doesnt cycle.
If there isn't any power to your pump, find the relay to the fuel pump. Unplug it and see if there is power making it to the relay. Your going to be looking for the signal power, not the main power to the relay. If there isn't a signal power, then make certain your fuel pump fuse is not blown. Also, pull the fuse out and make sure the tabs inside the fuse block did not come loose from the block itself. This can happen, and when it does, the fuse looks like its plugged in, but under the fuse block, the tab is not making contact with the fuse.

Also, the entire time you measuring the voltage at the various points, cycle your killswitch and ignition, also wiggle any wires that appear to be leading to the various relays. Oh yeah, and all of these voltage measurements need to be done with the ignition on, just as if you were about to start the bike. You might want to hook up a small 2 amp charger to the bike so it doesnt kill the battery while your looking for the problem.

Im sure there are more things to check, but these are the ones I think I would start with. oh, and make sure the battery terminals are seated and not loose. It probably wouldn't cause the issue, but I've seen many electrical problems be solved just by realizing the battery was loose.

If you don't have a volt meter, you can buy a decent digital one at places like walmart for like 20 bucks. they are more than enough to handle electrical gremlins that come up.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-06-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 PM

thanks alot im gonnna give it a shot!!