General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Engine Knock

I have an 05 cbr1000rr with about 5800 miles on it, and just as of today it developed one hell of a knocking/rattling sound. Not noticable at idle, grows increasingly louder as the rpms go up, even to the point where it is as loud as the exhaust. Interesting however it will stop the knock sound if i maintained rpm for at least 5-10 seconds or so. When in nuetral I didnt rev it very high but the knock could be heard while rpms were falling. Also makes noise when I had downshifted and pulled the rpms back up a little. I have not rode the bike particuarly hard but have redlined several times. Today it redlined about 5 minutes before I noticed the sound. I dont know anything about motorcycle engines or haveany experience with diagnosing problems, all I know is this noise is loud sounds really bad and I am flipped out about it because I have an idea it may be a very expensive promblem. Any input will be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Default RE: Bad Engine Knock

Oil level? running premium gas?

Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 PM

Haven't checked oil level since the incident but it was fine before, although it does sound as tho there is little to no oil in it and I have never put anything but 93 in it. Play by play: Pulled onto highway and got into second and pulled the front end up and rode it out for at least 10-15 seconds and let it down when the bike redlined and the rev light came on. Then proceeded down the road in 6th goin about 180, came to a traffic light and when I pulled away from there the knock started. I had a friend of mine listen to it and he said when I went up and down my driveway and he said when I got on the throttle he couldnt hear my pipe at all, just knocking. I'm thinkin maybe a long wheelie caused the engine to starve itself and then redlining ****ed it all up. I thought that cbr's had oil pans that could still pick up during a wheel stand though. I'm pissed. I'm gonna check the oil level tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 PM

Changed the oil today and I'd say there was about 2 quarts came out, so it was low...not visible in the sight hole at all before I drained it. The last time I checked it was about 3 months ago and it was fine then. It still makes the noise but it doesnt come on until higher into rpm range than before, still very loud at at high rpm's. Starts and runs fine, no sputtering or lag.It's not using oil, no smoke from the exhaust and the oil level has dropped noticably after a short ride. So basically somethin is still really messed up and I suppose I need to take it somewhere and have the engine torn apart. Yay.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Fill the oil level back up to the mid mark and run it again, it's possible that your passages were just drained and now they've filled back up, which would be the decrease in oil level you saw. Also, go ahead and double check your coolant (just remove radiator cap and eyeball it) make sure there's no oil in there (it would be very noticeable) as that's the only other place the oil can go.

As for the noise you're experiencing, is it a rattle, or is it like someone is hitting your block with a hammer really fast? Knock is literally that, it sounds like someone pinging your engine with a hammer. It could also be worn out rod journals, or piston slap, but that wouldn't explain why the noise would go away if you maintain rpm.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

The last time I checked it was about 3 months ago and it was fine then.
You have been a naughty boy.

I don't know if the noise you are hearing in spark knock, the little tiny cylinders on a bike probably don't make the same sound as a car. The 05 RR is fairly quiet, but if it runs and revs it is probably not a main bearing or something. But yeah, don't ride it and get it looked at.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang Bro. It sounds like you're one of those that really has no problem beating the hold f*ck out of your bike. The part about you wheelying for 10+ seconds, then doing 180 made me laugh, honestly. I found this thread from talk about wheelies being bad for extended periods. These bikes are tough, but they do need to be cared for and driven like they can be broken. You probably did something the bike didn't like during the high rpm wheelie.