General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempted Theft...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yes...look at the bright side. She could have been gone!!! Solder, swrink & ride! When the oppitunity comes, then replace wire harness...

Bet you it's some one within the community try to steal bike, or a friend of some one living in same community...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its called "cold" soldering.. I dont mind eletrical tape just depends on what kind. electrical tape over a hot soldered joint is fine. Heat melts the rubber and adhesive together. Just dont use butt connectors if u want it to last. My .02

Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 AM

Hey, mine got stolen. For 3 months, then trashed and pulled to pieces. I'd be happy it was still there. They didn't cut my wire harness, they bashed in the ignition at the key, then turned the piece behind the key slot with a screwdriver. Stole it in an hour while I was out in mid daylight. I can help you if you want to make it much more difficult to steal. Mine only starts now with a modified USB flash drive I made to replace the ignition, so in a sense I carry the ignition itself, not the key with me. I also saw bicycle chain type locks for motorcycles covered in layers of kevlar that are near impossible to cut through.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Hot joints are the only way to do it... with heat shrink. Waterproof and permenant.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:27 AM

All sounds a bit sus to me, my guess would be neighbors or someone who is really stupid that walks past your bike every other day, keep your eyes peeled...

Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaron
All sounds a bit sus to me, my guess would be neighbors or someone who is really stupid that walks past your bike every other day, keep your eyes peeled...
Bingo...I think it was one of the dirt bag complex workers. The only way you can really see the bike is if you walk near the little garage they keep all there tools in...my guess is that it was either one of them or one of their friends that hangout there... The bike is not visible in any way from the street....

Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

get a giant motion activated spotlight with air horn attached to it and point it at your driveway :P you could even get the same sleeving (I've seen it at Fry's and Radioshack) and replace your cut sleeving and make it look brand new.

Flexible Split Wire Loom for Cable Organization and Protection

Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by CBRken
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I'm gana hit them with some solder, shrink them and then hit'em with some e-tape and flex tubing to clean it up! It just ****'s me off because someone had the ***** come into my gated houseing complex an try 2 steal the bike... Not only did they cut the ignition harness, the cut the harness that's connected to throttle(Can't get the picture 2 show up)..why they cut it IDK! Must not have really known what they were doing. and on top of it all the handle bars were locked, so what was he going 2 do, drive in circles??? I mean really. But all and all, it is an easy fix, and im just glad that my baby didnt get stolen...

Thanks guys!,
Ken
He didn't know what he was going, every bike is different and thankfully ours has a built in theft-system in the ignition switch. While that, and the steering lock seems safe, all it takes as a strike to the keyhole with a mallet and pipe to separate the ignition, break the steering lock off, and turn the remaining ignition slot with a screwdriver to start it. Sometimes they accidentally break the electronics in the ignition when it gets busted out. If you can use a soldering iron at all and are up to it, let me know and I'll help show ya some ignition modifications that are simple to do and can leave a thief dumbstruck. Only costs $5-$20 from radio shack.

Oh, as far as the gated community goes, it's nothing but an illusion of safety. mine was stolen in a gated community with security cameras. It won't help you by the time they're in Georgia with a van full of bike parts. The best ideas I know of are kevlar wrapped high-grade steel bike locks attached to a solid 'anchor', a padlock that you lock directly on a chain link itself, a front disc brake lock w/ tilt and movement alarm, ignition modifications such as the USB drive I made. I won't go into detail on ignition specifics, email me at: jack sla3@ gm ail .com (no spaces) and I'll give you a walk through. Have a good one

Last edited by jacksla3; 10-05-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: add
Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

a secret kill switch would work too.

but at the end of the day, 3 guys and a truck is all it takes to steal a bike.

i've found that rash, duct tape, and gawdy stickers (not parts related stickers) deter theives

Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 PM

I'm glad so many people are trying to help me out!!!

Well try and help me out with this!... SO, all the wires are soldered back 2gether, shrinked and everything...It came out great. Before i sealed everything up I figured it would be a good idea 2 try and start it...turn the key, no power!!!! =( nothing..checked all the wires and everything is connected correctly...IDK WHAT I DID!!! When I put the wires back together I did NOT disconnect the battery, and one time while I was soldering I hit the clipon with the iron while it was connected to one of the red wires...and it sparked a good amout...do u guys think I could have blew a fuse?? or worse? Tomorrow when I go and look at it again( its starting 2 rain) I'll check 2 make sure my battery isnt dead... any ideas??

Thanks guys!,
Ken

Quick Reply: Attempted Theft...need help!