General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempted Theft...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempted Theft...need help!

Well, some1 cut some wiring harness's and tried 2 jack my bike...They didnt get away with it, but they did destroy some ****.

I'm not really sure how much it would cost me 2 get this fixed..or if i could just splice the wires back together... Any ideas??

Thanks guys..

theft.jpg?t=1317683326

****2-1.jpg?t=1317682062

Last edited by CBRken; 10-03-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

splice them back together, and see what else is wrong with the bike. a good splice job should be adequate, instead of replacing the harness.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM

Agree, and install an alarm u may not be so lucky next time around.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM

thanks, I'll put pics up when my computer stops being a pos. I'm so pissed right now

Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't be....she could have been gone!!!! Looking at pictures, seems to be easy fix...with some butt connectors (waterproof ones cost more) & crimp clamp...then wrap it with electrical tape.

I used to work for car & stereo alarm installer...they do exactly the same when install an alarm system....

Originally Posted by CBRken
thanks, I'll put pics up when my computer stops being a pos. I'm so pissed right now

Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

DO NOT butt splice or quick splice. solder the wires, then shrink wrap. its your ignition, that is the LAST thing you want corroding. and if you do that, it'll be good as new as the solder cannot corrode.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

+1 on soldering and shrink wrapping. I've heard of people saying that the vibrations loosen the solder and you loose the connection. Ive not had that happen nor have I seen it on any of my friends bikes. Stay away from electrical tape unless your gonna tape over the shrink wrap but thats just a waste.

Lean how to solder you have no idea how useful a skill it is until you know how to do it. Plus if you ever plan in selling or trading the bike the next guy will appreciate it.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CJardine
+1 on soldering and shrink wrapping. I've heard of people saying that the vibrations loosen the solder and you loose the connection. Ive not had that happen nor have I seen it on any of my friends bikes. Stay away from electrical tape unless your gonna tape over the shrink wrap but thats just a waste.

Lean how to solder you have no idea how useful a skill it is until you know how to do it. Plus if you ever plan in selling or trading the bike the next guy will appreciate it.
i've never heard that vibes loosen it, but my whole harness has been modded by me, its never done anything except work. besides, a basic butt connector would come undone before a soldered joint would. but the thing that i would really be worried about is the corrosion.

edit: you have to do HOT joints. iron touching the wire on the bottom for a good 15-20 seconds to heat up the wire. then you throw a solder rod on the iron (underneath) and it will literally bleed up through the splice. no chance for a loose connection that way shrink wrap over that and you are good to go. there's no way that could vibrate loose. but i guess i could see what you're saying about typical solder joints that a lot of people do possibly being able to vibrate loose. but thats just because its not a good joint. if the joint is good, its stronger than the actual wire itself.

but youre right on the usefulness of the skill, and it gets fun once you get good at it. don't drink too much caffeine

Last edited by Conrice; 10-04-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They do sell a water proof butt connector. Once you crimp it on, you can heat shrink directly using a lighter, then black electrical tape f

Then black tape for cosmetic purpose....solder is great but you must do it correct...a bad solder job is worst than using tape itself

Last edited by IDoDirt; 10-04-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I'm gana hit them with some solder, shrink them and then hit'em with some e-tape and flex tubing to clean it up! It just ****'s me off because someone had the ***** come into my gated houseing complex an try 2 steal the bike... Not only did they cut the ignition harness, the cut the harness that's connected to throttle(Can't get the picture 2 show up)..why they cut it IDK! Must not have really known what they were doing. and on top of it all the handle bars were locked, so what was he going 2 do, drive in circles??? I mean really. But all and all, it is an easy fix, and im just glad that my baby didnt get stolen...

Thanks guys!,
Ken

Quick Reply: Attempted Theft...need help!