General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arai helmet problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arai helmet problem

I originally posted this in the Women's Forum, but think it has wider appeal. Update is that I sent it off for repair yesterday.

Original post:

Okay, so I'm riding home, three lane freeway, passing a big semi at about 70, a street sweeper(!) is passing me, it's dark, I pull my chinbar air dam down cause it's getting a little chilly....and huh - it's come out and I'm holding it looking at it in my left hand! There's a small extra piece of attachment plastic flapping in the wind and fwwpp that's gone. So I tried stuffing the broken piece into my jacket, but being in a not so comfy sandwich, I just shoved it up inside my helmet by my chin and made it home. The bottom band was mostly detached too, lucky I didn't lose it.

Emailed Arai the next day, they gave me the phone number of the official repair shop, which is in PA, I called and they said it was a warrantee item! - seems the glue batch was bad on some of the older helmets (mine is an '01 Signet), and they got sold before they could recall them. So she said they're just waiting for folks to call in if they have a problem.

Only difficulty now tho is I've got a ride planned in 2 weekends and don't want to risk sending it off and not getting it back in time - gave away my backup helmet. Taped the bottom plastic back on, will function fine, but I like that chin air dam.

Given it's so old I was surprised they'd still cover it, yippee!
-Susan
'04CBRF4i

Old 05-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Arai helmet problem

+1 for Arai. Great helmets and great customer service. I had a problem with my helmet a coupla weeks ago too. Emailed them and within a week they'd sent me a replacement part. No questions, no hassle, and best of all no costs for me.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Arai helmet problem

interesting, mine did the same thing...the bottom band was coming out along with the chin curtain. i just glued it back on. from what i've heard, their CS is awesome.