General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Got a carb Sync Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Got a carb Sync Tool?

ORIGINAL: Incognito

Click Here

I have to disagree with that style of tool. As all the tubes are connected when one goes up another goes down, which means, you never get an accurate read on them. By putting the ends of the tubes in a jar or bottle containing the liquid each will be able to pull up as much as it needs to show true vacuum.

Another method is to use 4 vacuum gauges with restrictors to smooth out the needle movement.

Here is an 8 page thread on the subject. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=23038.0

Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got me there. All I did was give hima link on how to build one ~ I didn't come up with the design, nor have I built/used one. Last carburated vehicle I had was a '77 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, and that was back in '98.
Regarding the separate container idea, I believe it's mentioned in that thread.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

I have to disagree with that style of tool. As all the tubes are connected when one goes up another goes down, which means, you never get an accurate read on them.
I've been thinking about the different designs after looking overthe thread you posted. Talk about more than one way to skin a cat! There was one guy there thathad the fuid from the tubes sucked into his engine when he started the motor! Hopefuly 94cbr600kid will enlighten us as to how it turned out. Guess I should begrateful to have FI.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Incognito

I have to disagree with that style of tool. As all the tubes are connected when one goes up another goes down, which means, you never get an accurate read on them.
I've been thinking about the different designs after looking overthe thread you posted. Talk about more than one way to skin a cat! There was one guy there thathad the fuid from the tubes sucked into his engine when he started the motor! Hopefuly 94cbr600kid will enlighten us as to how it turned out. Guess I should begrateful to have FI.
I have in fact Build that Similar design with the wood and all with my own little twist in it,I havent tested it yet (Waiting to try it on my buddy's bike to test it out not mine)hes kewl with it and its his spare bike anyways that needs help(Suzuki bandit 600).To me that design does seem like it will be acurate.All of the tubes filled up with the fluid equaly and all air pockets are out.so i dont see a problem with it not being right on point.I took Tons of pictures and will be making a "how to" once i test it and know it works properly but gotta wait and see

Sorry for the mispelled words..its early

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM

$100...comes with everything you need: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0411

Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 AM

yea i know there only 100$ but i dont feel like spending 100$ on a tool that i may only use once ya know?..PLus i also was reading that before you sync the carbs its a good thing to do a valve adjustment and that i know nothing about...

Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM

i spent about 18 bucks at lowes. used two empty pickle jars I taped together.

used 3/8 tubing and a few fittings such as 2 3/8 barbs...2 female-female sleeve connectors and 2 1/4 barbs...basically to step the 3/8 down to hook up to the 1/4"

put the bike up on a stand or do like I did (no rear stand for me) and set a brick under the kickstand to raise it up almost 100% level...be careful tho because it'll want to fall over the other way, just use a board with a slash cut against the frame and wedge it against something. It won't budge after that.
I used a small squirt bottle and shoved the nipple into the fuel inlet...poke a hole in the bottom as a breather.
Sync 1-2 but make sure 3-4 are plugged.
Then do 3-4
Finally do 2-3 but also you want to check 1-4...just keep messing with it for a while to make sure it's dead even all the way across. It says it's really quick but that depends on how out of sync your carbs are. Mine were a bit because I had split them apart previously to change some o-rings between them so I spent a good 20-30 minutes making it perfect...no water transferred between either jar when hooked up in any combination to the carb vacuum lines.

After, the sync job, combined with the fresh cleaning I gave them the bike ran amazingly smooth...like night and day. Carbed bikes get a bad rep but I think that's from people who don't maintain them properly or simply sheep who hear a few d-bags crying about carbed bikes and their supposed "****ty throttle response" thus making it law.
Good luck man.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: justasquid

.At what level do i sync them at?.or do i just make them even?thats what doesnt make sense to me?
yeah, you make them all the same level. I would use the number one carb as the base to get the other 3 to match. Your going to have some variation in the levels as the engine is running. this is just the vaccum pulse starting and stopping. You basically just get them as close to the same as possible. If you do make one, make sure the length of the tubing is the same and the tubing is very straight. I noticed in the pic of the homemade unit the tubing is not straight and this will play into the carbs not being synced properly.

Im not sure if you are aware, so I will advise anyway. The carb sync toolis only for the air fuel mixture. Its not to sync the mechanical carbs together. The mechanical part needs to be syncronized correct in order to sync the carbs air fuel mixture. You will also need a special jet tool to reach the jet that is located on the bottom of the carb.
?? Carb syncing is having an equal amount of vacuum in each carb. If you haven't ridden a bike with carbs out of sync it idles like ***. Having 4 carbs is like 4 engines connected at the crankshaft, they all want to turn at different speeds. Syncing them is just getting them to run at the same speed. I don't know where you get air/fuel mix out of it.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM

I have this one:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CARBURETOR-...tRecordCount=1

I dont thinkI paid $120, more like $60 about a year ago, maybe from another source. I have not used it yet. If you want more info on it email me at damurjian@aol.com.

The home made tubing device is Probably as accurate if not more accurate. The BMW guys useit and they aresome of the mostanal, engineer types.

A good carb tune link from CBR1000F forum:

https://cbrforum.com/m_671108/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 PM

?? Carb syncing is having an equal amount of vacuum in each carb. If you haven't ridden a bike with carbs out of sync it idles like ***. Having 4 carbs is like 4 engines connected at the crankshaft, they all want to turn at different speeds. Syncing them is just getting them to run at the same speed. I don't know where you get air/fuel mix out of it.
Carb syncing is having all of them the same vacuum like you said. But, the way you get the same vacuum to all carbs is through the air/fuel mixture(pilotjet). that is what gets adjusted to get the carbs pulling the same amount of vacuum at idle. you do this once the the carbs are all mechanically pulling the same, then you adjust the pilotjet to fine tune it. Thats where the I get the air/fuel mix out of it.

Quick Reply: Anyone Got a carb Sync Tool?