General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another question about my Micron exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another question about my Micron exhaust

OK.. this one is kind of a part 2 to my original post wondering if I had a full exhaust or a slip on...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/do-i-have-full-exhaust-slip-106381/

It does appear that it is a full exhaust... to me the bike is pretty loud.. love the tone but when I am riding it feels loud although my buddy riding behind me says its not bad and my wife hearing me leave the house at 7am also says its not bad...

It seems to have a type of resonance in my helmet while cruising.. thats what is bothering me I think...

I had it idling the other day and I put my hand around the connections to check for leaks.... well.. about an inch before the swingarm crossunder point I felt air.. so there is a leak... the odd thing is that there is a spring on top to keep tension, but there isnt one on the bottom.. nor is there a tab for a spring to pop into .. now I know that slip ons use a band clamp.. should I have one on mine? I havent seem band clamps on full systems but I think one would eliminate the leak.. and maybe this leak is what I am hearing in my head... the connection at the can has two springs (one on top and one on bottom).. why wouldnt the connection before it?

Before swing arm:

Thoughts?

Thanks
Adam

Old 03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Different manufacturers use different methods for connecting things together. That being said, it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to install a band clamp to help hold and seal it. I'd say go for it.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Official Welcome Crew

thanks. Any idea what teh pipe diameter should be? I'll check it before I head off to the store, but was wondering if anyone off the top of their heads.. probably around 2inch, right?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unsure of diameter. I also doubt that will help the noise you are hearing in your helmet. Might i suggest ear plugs while riding.......

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 AM

Im with Tk, I doubt your hearing the noise from way down there at cruising speeds. Your more than likely hearing the ehaust out of the pipe.

Does your mufflers outlet angle slightly away from you? Meaning, make sure the pipes outlet is slightly angled away from you, instead of towards you. It may not seem like it, but it can make a huge difference.

If it is pointed straight back or slightly towards the bike, loosen the clamp around the muffle and twist the muffler so its pointed away from the bike.

Also, unfortunately, some pipes just resonate worse than others.

As for the leak. Most manufacturers use an exhaust sealant between pipe connections. go to the autoparts store and pick up a tube, remove the pipes, apply the sealant on and reconnect the pipes. I'd bet someone had the pipe off and didnt reapply any sealant.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Official Welcome Crew

Thanks all.

The can outlet is pointed straight back.... and yes I am wearing ear plugs.. its worse without them.. but the decibel level isnt teh problem (or at least I think it isnt) its the tone.. kind of like how my Mustangs like to resonate at a certain rpm..

The OEM setup uses a gasket, doesnt it? I'm weary of putting any 'gasket sealant' type stuff on there to be honest.. should there be a gasket there? I know the can is a Micron, but the header and mid pieces.. not sure... it would stand to reason that they would be the same as teh can but who knows.. and Micron has gone out of business..

Adam

Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Official Welcome Crew

I've also been thinking of doing something different.. to get a quieter, less resonating tone... pull the full system off and put a stock header and another slip on system on. I was thinking of something like a Yosh pipe.. those seem to have a nice tone.. a bit higher pitched than mine too..

I was thinkin of putting a stock can on, but I know I would want to lose it after a few rides...

How much could I reasonably get for my full system?

There is also the possibility that something like repacking the can would do the trick. Since micron is out of business, where could I buy the stuff? I found a complete kit on ebay, but it was the UK site.. not sure if they would ship it to me...

Am I nuts?

Adam

Last edited by Turbulenz; 03-14-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM

No gasket on stock either. Just a clamp.

I know you probably think Im messing with you. But honestly, I would loosen up the muffler clamp, and rotate the pipe a little and point the outlet away from the bike instead of straight back. Even a little can help. It would only take a minute to try it. I've done it in the past on previous bikes..

I wouldnt waste my time repacking it. It will burn in fast and be just as loud within a few weeks. And after seeing the actual pipe, its a fairly small dia, so there isn't much packing in there.

If you really want a quiet, but good sounding exhaust. Akropovic's are about the best one out there. they are probably the quietest aftermarket exhaust, but a good low tone too. But, they are pricey. You may beable to pick up a slip on and stock header, sell your full system and not be too much out of pocket.

Im not denoucing Yoshimura, thats what I have and I like it. But it can get kind of droning at times too.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Official Welcome Crew

Thanks.. I will try that.

More than likely the first thing I will do is get a band clamp for the lower part. I will be riding to work a few days this week, so this weekend I will also rotate the can to see if that help.

Adam

Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Official Welcome Crew

OK.. picked up a nice stainless t bolt clamp.. torqued that sucker down tight.. I can feel a tiny bit coming out, but nothing like before.. I also turned the outlet a bit..

I'm riding to work tomorrow.. and I'll let you know how it works out.

Adam