General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another oil Q

did you go to the next pages? It does talk about auto and moto :P
Moly is often referred to as a friction modifier, but it is actually a solid metal dispersed in some oils. Because it has such a high melting temperature (4730¯ F versus 2795¯ F for iron), it works great as a high-temperature, high-pressure antiwear agent. Some claim that because moly is so slick, it can cause clutch slippage. In fact, some motorcycle manufacturers specify oil without moly due to this problem. The moly issue is such that Honda offers its HP4 both with and without it. Looking at the moly graph data, however, shows that even Honda's "moly-free" product contains 71 ppm. Many of the products contain less than five ppm of moly, which is the threshold measurement on this test (meaning any amount less than five ppm will not be detected). Both Torco oils contain a significant dose of moly, while the Maxum Ultra and Motul 300V Factory contain far less. The Mobil 1 automotive oil contains 92 ppm, while the MX4T motorcycle-specific version has an undetectable amount. Only six of the 19 motorcycle oils we tested use moly at all. Those that do, however, average 298 ppm. Considering that many oils contain five ppm or less, 298 ppm is a significant dose.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried Castrol Synthetic Blend 10W40 for 3K miles then Motul 5100 Synthetic Blend (MC Oil) for the past 1K miles. I'd have to say that the bike shifts better with the Motul and it's about the same price.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i saw the part about the moly. as long as you don't have tons of it in there, it shouldn't pose a problem...heck...the f4i's water pump requires a good dose of moly oil fluid around the shaft area where it connects to another part that turns it...well, all these parts are encased just above the oil pan and get a healthy does of oil with it...so a little bit is not bad for the bike since it's not enough to cause slippage.

as far as shifting is concerned...i got lots of mis-shifts from vavoline...why? dunno, maybe cause my calves were buff back then.
T