General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another oil Q

10-40 car oil is fine as long as it is not labeled as energy conserving. i don't thin any 10-40s are but still, check the label.
as i posted awhile back, one of the guys i used to ride with used dino oil for cars in his ZX10R...he always rides the **** out of it. he had his oil sent to blackstone labs after 3500 miles. they tests came back and all was fine. Just that the oil did show that it was breaking down. they recommended that with that oil and the way he runs his bike to change the oil every 2800 miles.

yes, bike engines rev higher than cars, but it doesn't mean that you can't use car oil. the higher revs will make the oil break down faster so you just need to change it more frequently...which in the end, adds up to about the same as using motorcycle specific oil. now as far as mobile 1 synthetic, i don't know of anyone who's sent it to blackstone but many guys i know that run it have had no issues with it, in particularly the oil breaking down early. I did use Valvoline a couple of times. at the oil changes, i see that the oil was super dirty and very thin, with signs that it's no longer doing it's job well. The Honda stuff was like golden still, so was the motul...and lastly, the Mobile 1...was still pretty good shape that i friend chicken in it and then dumped it.

T

Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just go w/ mobil 1 10w40 mx4t it's made for motorcycle

Old 01-31-2006, 04:30 PM

pssss...lots of discussion in regards to what makes a motorcycle oil a "motorcycle oil".
other than the labelling, what's different?

i would encourage your guys to do your own research and not just listen to what someone says on a board...LIKE ME!
i did do my research and i would love to post some links and what not, but i think we can't right? or can we?

my conclusion is that there's really nothing making it "motorcycle specific" other than the labelling.

do a search on google, yahoo, msn (wait...msn sucks), etc...and read what others say...in addition, there are the ones that have the scientific information to back it up.

as far as personal experience with dino oil, i do agree that they seem to break down sooner. now given what Blackstone labs said about dino oil that was used in a bike...it showed early break down but if changed at 2800 miles, no problems.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

i did do my research and i would love to post some links and what not, but i think we can't right? or can we?
you can post links to anything you want, as long as it is not a link to another forum. forum to forum linking- bad. forum to website linking- good. anyway, i would really like to see the links that you speak of. regardless where they are from, there is nothing wrong with pm'ing them. thanks

Old 01-31-2006, 05:20 PM

here's one of the first ones that i read as i started getting into mah bike.

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

but don't just read...do these yourself and see what you find. granted you may not have the money to send samplese to Blackstone, but find someone who has...hahaha...
lucky for me, someone near me with a bike did it.

check out what the oil looks like when it comes out. honestly, Valvoline was like water when it came out...granted i left it in longer...but GN4 not as golden as before but still looks good...etc. but these are only by appearances...for real tests, gots to hit the labs.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Retired Mod

good links tahoe. thank you

Old 01-31-2006, 07:01 PM

no 929...you have to do this for yourself mang! go buy cheap walmart oil and use it and then test it against something kosher...at different intervals...and you can really tell the difference as you change the oil! ahahah j/k.

the car stuff is fine, but unless it's synthetic, i would not let it run for more than 3K in the bike. although those links may say differently, i see the stuff that comes out and it just makes me cringe!

Old 01-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

no 929...you have to do this for yourself mang! go buy cheap walmart oil and use it and then test it against something kosher...at different intervals...and you can really tell the difference as you change the oil! ahahah j/k.

the car stuff is fine, but unless it's synthetic, i would not let it run for more than 3K in the bike. although those links may say differently, i see the stuff that comes out and it just makes me cringe!

i know what you're saying but id rather read it than test it. im not going to put that supertech walmart shat in my bike. just not worth it to me. any damage or wear that could occur is more than i would experience using the honda gn10-40. and i change it every 2500-3000 and it still looks good. i dont mind spending the money for oil. i didn't buy a $5000 bike to put $0.50 quarts of oil into it. the extra money that i spend for the lower grade honda oil is cheap insurance against damage, in my opinion.

and the whole sending the oil off for testing thing sounds like a waste of time and money to me. id rather use oil that i know to be good. besides, the price of testing + price of cheap oil would be more than buying better oil in the first place.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Old 02-01-2006, 02:46 PM

and that brings you back to square 1....
says there are differences in motocycle oil and car oil...but as far as these differences affecting performance, other than the race oils...doesn't give much insight on that...or did i skim too quickly?