General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all balls steering bearing install ??? PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all ***** steering bearing install ??? PLEASE READ

Ok installing new steering bearings onto the steering stem. I got the new all ***** bearings but there is a race on the bottom of the steering stem that is on top of the lower dust seal and one on the upper. The new bearings look like they need to be pressed onto these races. These races are on the stem not in the frame. Do i need to press the bearings onto these? Just want to make sure before i do this.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Default RE: all ***** steering bearing install ??? PLEASE READ

im assuming the cbr uses loose ***** like the sohc`s did.if so,you need to remove the race off the stem and place the new race on the stem.with the sohc bearing kits,you receive two spacers that you may have to use one under the lower race.you are supposed to measure the stack height of your old bearings and race and compare to the thickness of the new ones.if there is a difference you compensate for it with the spacers.good luck.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:42 AM

thanks for the response. There are no spacers for this though. There is the stem, and two inner races. One upper and one lower. Im assuming the bearings have to be pounded onto these races that stay on the stem because that is the only way i see it all fitting but my bikes been out of order for a week now and want to make sure before i damage anything. Any other responses?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:14 PM

you need to replace the old races with the new one supplied in the kit.the new races press into the steering neck on the frame.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 PM

Yes. You can usually tap them on with a punch or a length of pipe with the appropriate diameter (I prefer because you can just beat the crap out of it - takes forever with a punch and I'm always afraid of slipping). Easiest way to get the old one off is to use a chisel tapped vertically into the joint between the base of the bearing and the stem to get it started, then tap off with a punch.

KeS

Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM

alright gents, Today is the day it all goes back together. Ill let anyone know that is interested in how it works out. Thanks again for the help.