General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filter & thermostat hose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air filter & thermostat hose?

Hi all,

I am planning to use the CBR1000rr engine in a mini sand rail project, and I have a couple of questions that I would be thankful if someone could answer it for me.

Will the stock air filter handle the sahara harsh environment, sand, stones...etc?
If not is there any aftermarket replacement that could fit in the stock airbox with heavy duty rating?

While reviewing the service manual I found that the thermostat have 4 ports:
-One inlet from the engine water jacket.
-One outlet to the water pump.
-One outlet to the radiator.
-And one direct outlet to the pressure cap.!!

images
I definitely knows how the top three ports work, but what does the direct hose to the pressure cap do?

I was planning to design and select a new radiator to handle the sahara temp. that could easily reach 120F.
Could the stock radiator handle these high temp.?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Sounds like an interesting project. As for the air filter, I think I'd try to configure it in such a way that you make use of a couple filters. I'd keep the factory filter in it's airbox as it comes on the bike. For the intake air ducting that leads to the airbox, I'd see if I could put a K&N type of filter at the opening. That one is going to get the dirtiest and would be cleanable. Kind of a multi-stage filtering. Just a thought anyway.

For the pressure hose and radiator cap. The cooling system on the engine is under pressure when it's running at operating temperatures. The coolant operates above 212 degrees, which is the boiling point of water. If the system wasn't pressurized, it would boil over. As the coolant is heated though, it expands. As it expands, the pressure cap allows the coolant to flow into the radiator reserve tank while still maintaining the system under pressure. When the engine cools off after use, and the coolant contracts as well as the pressure goes down, the coolant is drawn back from the reserve tank and into the cooling system.

I hope this helps.