General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket led tail light

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket led tail light

So, here's the problem, I bought an aftermarket let tail light with the turn signals integrated into it, also bought flush mount led turn signals for the front. My buddy has the same exact bike as me ( 2002 CBR f4i). he bought the same lights and hooked them up and his work fine, they just blink kinda fast. i hooked up my front signals exactly like he did and they worked just fine. then i hooked up the tail light just like his and now niether my front signals work or the rear tail light. so i called the techs at D2MOTO where i purchased the lights from. they sent me 4 ceramic resistors. i hooked them up and still nothing works. i checked the fuses and they are all good. everything works except my tail light and my front turn signals. The only thing the tail light does is light up, no turn signals and no brake light though. can someone please help with some suggestions as to what might be the problem? thank you.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM

I think your on the right track with the resistors. If there is not enough resistance, your flasher won't work. So even wiring in two resistors on the back or front signals should work and give a fast blink, which I think is better. Or wire all 4 and get close to the factory blink rate, which I think is too slow to get others attention.

Just make sure you realize some resistors do not get wired inline, but one side of the resistor gets grounded to the chassis or ground, the other side gets spliced into the hot wire of the blinker. I've seen many people mistakenly wire them up inline, in which case they do nothing. Check your wiring.

As for your friends bike working, his lights may have resistors built into the lights.

Last edited by justasquid; 08-12-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 PM

My friend bought the same exact lights though??? I will have to try and wire the resistors to the chassy or ground. i didnt realize that they didnt just go inline. thank you.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Have you tried to have them wired separately? Tail light and then your turn signals. I also have an 02 with no resistors. From what i have noticed it really depends on how many leds are in the units. I had one from one manufacturer and my buddy had another. Same kind of set up but because of the diff manufacturers the led count was different. The biggest diff was in the turn signals.

Do the tail lights first then the turns its easier to diagnose the turns then the tail light.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 PM

As stated above start by doing one at a time to see what works. Try the tail, then brake, then turn. If nothing works maybe the lights were wired wrong from the factory. If all but turn work it could be a resistor problem. Maybe wire in a normal bulb to see if it will atleast flash to help solve the issue.