General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Honda cbr900rr

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Honda cbr900rr

MY 99 CBR900RR won't turn over spring is here and I bought a new battery but the bike started only once before the new battery, now it won't start again any suggestions I'm thinking spark plugs but any help would be truly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When you say it won't turn over, do you mean that the engine won't crank at all? Or is it that the engine won't run?

Old 04-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
When you say it won't turn over, do you mean that the engine won't crank at all? Or is it that the engine won't run?
yes it won't start at all like no spark or something

Old 04-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn the key, does the engine move, or does it just make a clicking sound?

Old 04-05-2018, 05:54 PM

When you turn the key, does the engine move, or does it just make a clicking sound?
I want to say just the click of the power turning on

Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

If it's clicking when you turn the key, you need to check the following:

-Battery voltage. Use a multimeter set to Volts. It must be 12.6V or greater. If it's below 12.6V, put it on a charger

-Main fuse. Check continuity using the multimeter (set to Ohms) and confirm zero resistance from one end of the fuse to the other

-Once the battery and fuse is confirmed good, you should get a crank when you turn the key

Any electrical modifications to the bike? Aftermarket LED's etc.?

Old 04-05-2018, 08:51 PM

If it's clicking when you turn the key, you need to check the following:

-Battery voltage. Use a multimeter set to Volts. It must be 12.6V or greater. If it's below 12.6V, put it on a charger

-Main fuse. Check continuity using the multimeter (set to Ohms) and confirm zero resistance from one end of the fuse to the other

-Once the battery and fuse is confirmed good, you should get a crank when you turn the key

Any electrical modifications to the bike? Aftermarket LED's etc.?
their led headlights I think, It started before but battery was dead now there's a new battery sound like it want to start just won't do you think it's flooded or plugs bad battery was at 12.59 will charge and when you say check main fuse put the volt meter on the fuse box

Old 04-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

In case I wasn't clear, when I say turn the key, for a motorbike that means pushing the start button, ie., try to start the bike, don't just turn the key to 'ON' position

Old 04-05-2018, 08:53 PM

In case I wasn't clear, when I say turn the key, for a motorbike that means pushing the start button, ie., try to start the bike, don't just turn the key to 'ON' position
oh okay yes the bike tries to turn over just not doing so, I got it to start with a jump and old battery but when o got new battery it was backfiring and now it won't crank

Old 04-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

To check the main fuse, you just need to pull it out and check continuity. I don't know your exact bike so you might need to look it up to find the exact location

If the bike turns over but won't fire, you will need to confirm spark. If you're experienced, there's an easy trick where you pull the plug, leave it connected to the ignition wires, ground it to the case, and turn the bike, watching for a spark. For a beginner I'd recommend an inline tester to make the job easier. Either way, I would start by downloading the manual and familiarizing yourself with the ignition system troubleshooting

Quick Reply: 99 Honda cbr900rr