General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 CBR600 Green Fluid Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 CBR600 Green Fluid Leakage

Hi, just came back from a morning ride that lasted about an hour or so. It was my first time out riding on my own since I had got my license

Anyways, I was practicing my work route today. So when I got to work, I got off the bike for a bit to stretch and stuff for a minute. (left the bike running)

I'm all done, ready to get back on, and I notice a green fluid (antifreeze I'm assuming?) dripping from the very bottom of my bike. Not an extremely fast green fluid gushing everywhere but a drip-drip-drip kind of leak. I'm like.. whatever, gotta get home so I hop back on and ride back no problem whatsoever.

I remember a month or so ago, when I lowsided at like 5mph, the green stuff started leaking right after I fell and it continued to leak a tiny bit every time I'd start the bike and let it idle. This is probably a stupid question, but what should I do/check/fix/etc?

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might first try to determine if it is merely running out of the overflow tube. Is the reservoir low on fluid?

If it's not coming out of the overflow tube wipe off or wash off what's there and see if you can narrow down the source when it leaks some more. It might be a loose hose clamp or something minor.

Practicing your work route?

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 10-16-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
You might first try to determine if it is merely running out of the overflow tube. Is the reservoir low on fluid?

If it's not coming out of the overflow tube wipe off or wash off what's there and see if you can narrow down the source when it leaks some more. It might be a loose hose clamp or something minor.

Practicing your work route?
So the green stuff is antifreeze?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ren19
So the green stuff is antifreeze?
Yes. The only other liquids would be hydraulic fluid, motor oil or fuel. None of those are green.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Yes. The only other liquids would be hydraulic fluid, motor oil or fuel. None of those are green.
Okay.

Oh and by practicing my work route I mean, since it was my first time going out alone since I got my license last weekend, I went to work and back for practice.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ren19
Okay.

Oh and by practicing my work route I mean, since it was my first time going out alone since I got my license last weekend, I went to work and back for practice.
Ride safe. It's a lot different when you're riding alone on a Sunday morning than during rush hour on a workday. Ride as if you don't think the cagers know you're there and anticipate that they will cut you off or turn in front of you and you'll be ready for it when it happens.

Good luck with your commute and I hope you get your antifreeze leak problem resolved.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull your R side fairing off & do thorough inspections.

I'd imagine that a 1999's radiator hoses are probably starting to weaken (if not well there already). Weakening radiator hoses = leakage. As mentioned, check you clamps & tighten, & replace radiator hoses if necessary. You don't want a ruptured radiator house spraying all over your leg(s). Trust me on that (not to mention an overheated engine).

Also, thoroughly inspect the overflow bottle for cracks. Yes, you need to take it off & inspect the backside as well. If your heat-shield (rubber piece) isn't on properly, or at all, the bottle could melt enough in one spot to open up a tiny hole & start leaking. Again replace as necessary.

Also, inspect your radiator for cracks & punctures.

Hope you sort it out quickly. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 AM

You might want to check your blinker fluid...