F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

MAJOR F4I PROBLEM, LEAKING GREEN FLUID AND NOT RUNNING AFTER 2 MINUTES?? WHITE SMOKE??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAJOR F4I PROBLEM, LEAKING GREEN FLUID AND NOT RUNNING AFTER 2 MINUTES?? WHITE SMOKE??

Hi,
I have a 2001 cbr 600 f4i. I bought it about a month ago, and it has 2,400 miles on it. It's in good condidtion, but has been sitting for several years. I rode it when I bought it around the block and it ran great. I brought it home, never started it because of a dead battery. I changed the oil and fliter, then also purchased a new battery. I started it and it ran great, but I never road it. Well It sat for a week, then finally I had a chance to go ride it. I started it up, let it idle for about 5 minutes and it died. Then i tried starting it back up but you had to give it gas to get it to start. Well finally the plugs fouled out, so I bought new oridium plugs for $18.00 each from the Honda Dealership. Then I put them in there, and it started right up, but once it warms up it dies. But the bad thing is, there is white smoke coming out the exhaust pipe, and also every once in awhile green coolant looking stuff, draining out of the hole that is drilled in the stock exhaust pipe. It all smells like gas though? Someone had a suggestion on a blown head gasket, but I am not shure. Can anyone tell me whats going on? tHanks for you're help!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Default RE: MAJOR F4I PROBLEM, LEAKING GREEN FLUID AND NOT RUNNING AFTER 2 MINUTES?? WHITE SMOKE??

Burning coolant will make white smoke and smell sweet.
If you have coolant getting int to your combustion chamber that would foul your plugs fairly quickly.
pray its not a cracked block / head.
Time to take it to the shop unless your a descent mechanic.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Default RE: MAJOR F4I PROBLEM, LEAKING GREEN FLUID AND NOT RUNNING AFTER 2 MINUTES?? WHITE SMOKE??

how can I check my self to see if it's cracked ? Do you think it would be a blown head gasket? Thanks!

Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be a blown head gasket. There's no way to really tell except by removing the head and checking. It'll be easier to drop the motor to check for cracks in the block and head gasket condition than it will to do it in the bike.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:21 PM

so what is the best option, drop the motor to change the head gasket or leave it in the bike. I baught a service manual, and know a few things about engine,a nd have someone who knows alot to help, can I leave the engine in the bike? thanks!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The answer is yes to all. You can leave it in but it'll be a lot easier if you take it out. I really believe that you just have a blown headgasket but if the block is cracked then you will have a tough time finding it.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 AM

DaMN DUDE I have the exact same problem except mine is an 02' with 400km.. and was stored for 2 yrs before i bought it and never winterized. I had the exact same symptoms your describing, another difference was that my gas was TERRIBLE, it had all gummed up anyways take it into a shop before anything else could go wrong, I took mine in yesterday and am waiting to hear back whats wrong.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Hey man, I'm pretty new to bikes but this thing is common with all liquid cooled engines.

I'm sorry to say that if you're leaking coolant, fouling plugs and also burning white smoke, either your head gasket is blown, or you head/block is cracked. Both problems can be equally terrible.

If your gasket is blown then your bike has been sitting with coolant in the oil/crankcase/cylinders/combustion chamber and that will cause corrosion, causing weakness in the cylinder walls and crankcase. The bike will still run but with lower compression and a higher chance of crapping out on you. But it will run, running is good.

The other option is that your block/head is cracked. DO NOT ride the bike in this case. You will eventually blow the crack open and oil/coolant will get out of the engine, onto the road, under your tires and will cause you serious problems.

Best of luck brother

Old 03-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.
I had no idea thata bike with low mileage could be a sign of such trouble. Guess it's a lesson for purchasing a used bike.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:42 PM

HOLY NECROPOST, BATMAN!

Quick Reply: MAJOR F4I PROBLEM, LEAKING GREEN FLUID AND NOT RUNNING AFTER 2 MINUTES?? WHITE SMOKE??