General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 CBR F3 smoking wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 CBR F3 smoking wires

Just want to put this down while fresh in my mind. Rode from portland to seattle, no problems until getting to my house. I started smelling something burning, and something like rotten eggs, so I lifted the seat and there was smoke coming from around the battery around a group of wires. Also, there was a loud high-pitched electrical whine, and the bike wouldn't start, just made a clicking sound. So, I trickle charged the battery to see if it would hold a charge and start, and the next day all I got was barely lit dash lights and a flickering headlamp. Going to dig into it tomorrow, but wondered if there was anything I should look for, as this is my first time working on a bike.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Default RE: 98 CBR F3 smoking wires

Look for any bare wires in that area and cut the bare section out solder and heat shrink tubethat piece back in. This time give yourself extra length to reroute them so they aren't rubbing on anything.
If the wires look good than look for any cracks in the battery and replace it if you see any. Be careful of any fluid you see laying around.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:01 PM

i havent found any bare wires, but i did find a merlin box, which is a security sensor, right? It says merlin model 2000, and was sitting directly on something that looks like a small radiator, on the right side of the bike, just back from the battery. The backside of this thing is melted, so I figure that is what I smelt burning. Guess I can just do away with this, but now I need to figure out how to rewire the bike, and currently am recharging the battery, this time off the bike.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 PM

okay so i pulled the connector out of a piece of the bike and the connector inside was all melted. I don't know what this piece is, as i don't have a manual. it has 5 prongs, and is ridged on the face of it, i suppose to dissipate heat, it's just a 2 inch by 2 inch gray metal box. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where was this little box located? Is it located on the right side (exhaustside)of the bike and mounted on a metal plate which is also attached to the frame? If so, this is the regulator/rectifier. Failure of these is a common thing and they can be replaced. Another thing you will want to check if the regulator/rectifier has failed is the alternator 3P connector. If it is disfigured from overheating, you'll need to replace it. That can be done by purchasing a repair kit from Honda or just directly soldering the wires together.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 PM

yeah, it must be the regulator.... and the connector is melted to crap. I suppose this means the regulator is toast? How can i check if the regulator is fried? Should I just replace it? What would be a good one to buy so that this doesn't happen again?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the reg/rec is melted... I think it would be safe to assume the thing is toast. You can pick them up from a dealership for I think something in the ball park of $120. You can also pick them up from eBay for less. Make sure you get the reg/rec with cooling fins on it because the old style had nothing on them and fail from overheating. I would also start lookingover your charging system by looking at the connections. Here is a link that will help out with testing your charging system components (http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx). You'll have to remove the tank and look at the connector from the alternator as I am sure that is melted too (You can get a kit from Honda to repair the ACG connection). I think the site also mentions you can get the connector for the reg/rec since yours is cooked. Follow the instructions in the site while testing harness with an ohm/continuity meter just to make sure you don't have a short some where. Usually when the reg/rec fails, it just fails with no signs of failure (disfiguring or smoke). The only sign it gives is when you go to start the bike, your battery is dead. I would also charge your battery and put under a load test. FYI, the cold cranking amps (CCA) for your battery is 120. The failure of the reg/rec could have toasted the battery from over charging. Good luck man!