General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 900rr wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 900rr wont start...

So I have a 93 CBR900RR that's sat for about 3-4 months. I came home from deployment to find the battery dead. So I get a new battery, charge it up and crank... And CRANK... AND CRANK!!! She slowly lights off and runs like crap. I can tell it's only running on 2-3 cylinders so I shut it off and dig deeper. Figure time for new plugs and throw in new foam air filters since the previous ones were going on 12 years old and practically falling apart. So I also blow out the carb, throw in the fresh plugs (gapped correct) and crank. CRANK. AND CRANK!!! Now nothing. *GRRRRRRRR* So I pull the plugs again to start troubleshooting and notice they are soaked with fuel. Ah ha, no spark right? I throw a spark plug in each coil/plug wire and what do I see??? SPARK!!! *GRRRRRRRR* So it's getting spark AND fuel, must have hooked the plug wires up wrong. Triple check as I reapply then crank, CRANK and CRANK... Nothing. Checked all the fuel/vac/vent lines were correct, swapped in fresh plug wires and checked the IGN fuse. WTF!?!?!?! How do I check to see if the ECU mysteriously croaked? Or ANOTHER rectifier/stator (changed maybe 1000 ago)? I'm at a loss. Any advice or direction is appreciated.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Is the fuel 3 to 4 months old as well ? Try draining the carbs and tank and putting in fresh fuel. Clean the plugs again before trying to start again.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply... I decided to dive into the carbs since I was getting flooding. I used one of guides on the forum, very detailed, laid everything out and it went well (other than a few stubborn small phillips head screws that needed soaking and the perfect screwdriver tip), put it all back together and NOW!?!?!?!? It spews fuel from an overflow/vent tube that comes off the top right side of the carbs... I'm starting to get kinda pissed at the bike. Any ideas or advice? I was hoping maybe the throttle cables (I just reinserted and tightened the lock nuts, didn't adjust)? I'll let it dry out, turn the fuel off and try again because before the fuel "burping" incident it sounded like it wanted to fire. Plenty of juice, been on the trickle charger all night. So what now?!?!? LOL GRRRR!!! Old bikes, I love em. But does it always have to fight the help I try to give it?