General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

900RR has no power at all....UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004 | 11:27 AM
Default 900RR has no power at all....UPDATE

Ok hopefully I can get some help here. I'm at a loss. I have a 95 900RR that developed an electircal problem a month ago. One day I went out to start the bike and nothing happened. No lights on the gauges came on, nothing turned over, it was just dead. We pulled the seat off, checked the battery and everything was fine. We checked all the fuses, and everything was good. So we wiggled some wires and tugged on a few things and next thing you know the bike had power and started right up. It was fine for a week or two. Then it happened again. This time it wouldn't do anything for a few days, then the problem was gone and it was fine. Well last week I had the bike out for a ride again, stopped to fill up with gas and it died again. I pulled the seat off and discovered the red ignition plug looked corroded and kind of melted. I got the bike home and made a new plug and cleaned the contacts off on the starter relay. Still nothing. So I put another relay off a 900RR that we know works and still nothing.

I checked and the starter relay is getting 12.9 volts coming into it and out of it. In the fuse panel when I turn the key on, the radiator fan fuse is getting 12.9 volts to it, but the ignition fuse is getting no juce. I have a new wire harness that I can swap out, but i'm not totally sure thats my problem. Is there anything I can try or should look into before replacing the harness. I'm going to pull the tank off this weekend and see if I can spot any wires that are pinched or shorted. I'm just frustrated and at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2004 | 09:57 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Default RE: 900RR has no power at all?

Neon -- you're doing all the logical steps in locating the problem. My only suggestion is that if your ignition fuse is the only one not getting power then perhaps you can jumper it and confirm. If a jumper supplies power and the bike fires up then you're set: either install new harness (blechhhh) or make jumper permanent.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2004 | 04:57 AM

Are you sure it is not the ignition switch ( key) itself?? if it is worn it may not be making connection properly..I say this because this old Ninja I have has this type of condition..if I turn the key to far to the right when I put the key in the hole, it has no power and I just have to move it a touch to make it work right.
Just one possible correction. See if you can bypass the ignition switch and see if that eliminates the problem

Old 12-04-2004 | 04:57 AM

basically "wiggle the key" in the on position and see if it goes away

Old 12-11-2004 | 07:34 PM

Well I spent a few hours today and tore the bike apart. I did some troubleshooting and it turns out it looks like the ignition switch is my problem. I have it apart and it randomly will start the bike and other times it won't. So now I need a switch. Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

Old 12-11-2004 | 08:21 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Ya -- Limpy strikes again. Hope it's a easy fix and you're back riding soon. So now you got an extra harness to scavange if necessary.

Old 12-11-2004 | 10:11 PM

UH HUH THATS RIGHT!! I CALLED THAT ONE!!!! [sm=vader.gif]
YOU ARE WELCOME!! GLAD I COULD HELP
Hopefully you will not have any more trouble

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:49 PM

Well looks like i'll be shelling out about $200. I'm going to go ahead and get the new ignition switch, lock cyllinder, gas lid, & trunk lock. That way i'll have all matching keys. I don't have a lock in the trunk now, so it will be nice to have one in there. Thanks again. By the way, that smiley kicks ***.