General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 CBR/Hurricane 600F Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 CBR/Hurricane 600F Questions

Whats up guys! Ive got a 90 Hurricane that was given to me as a gift for christmas of 2010, the bike had not been started in close to three years. The bike was unfortunely kept under a tarp on the side of the house for most of its life. Well I finally started into this project today, drained all the fuel out of the tank, bought a battery and added fresh fuel to start.

Well good old Honda the bike lit up and cranked right over. After a few minutes of messing with the fuel selector i figured out which way was on, the bike started to spit and pop, then finally started to run. As soon as i stepped back to admire my work I realized fuel was pouring out from under the bike, directly behind the shifter lever.

Now im am mechanically inclined, my really hobby is mud trucks and quads. This is my first street bike, i know almost nothing about them. My first instinct is that the float was stuck. So I innocently popped the plastic off and discovered these damn things are may more complicated then my quads!!!! Thats were you guys come in.

If any one has any suggestions of what might be causing this to happen. if you have any do and dont's! Fuel isnt just dripping out its coming out with pressure, so that makes me believe that either a gasket is bad, whatever shuts the fuel pump off ( if there even is one) is stuck, or just like a quad that sits for to long the float gets stuck open.

So please any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 07-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

A stuck float is a strong possibility. Also the O rings on the T fittings that the fuel lines are attached to. They get dried out, crack and won't seal. A 21 year old bike that has sat for 3 years will certainly need the carburetors gone through. Complete dis-assembly and replacing the soft parts like O rings and gaskets is in order. Cleaning out the tiny passageways is critical to getting it running well.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright cool, Im gunna head up to my local power sports show and see if they can get me a complete rebuild kit, thats what i did to my quad and it really made a difference!

Thanks For the help