General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'88 Hurricane 600, No spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Hurricane 600, No spark

Hi guys, I recently picked up a CBR Hurricane, 600, but it won't start.
My friend narrowed it down to spark. All 4 cylinders aren't getting spark.

What could be causing this?

Could it be the spark unit?
The "pulse generator"?
The coil set?

If it was the coil set, it wouldn't send spark to two of the cylinders since there are 2 coil packs right?

I'm a newbie. Any and all information is appreciated.

Battery was fully charged, gas was good. Not sure if that info helps at all, just thought i'd put that out there.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM

How do I check to see if the pulse generators are good?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Electrical is a tough place to start if you aren't already a pretty fair mechanic. I'm betting that it would actually be cost effective to take it in to a dealer/repair shop for your problem. Hopefully you got the bike for a good price, since it's not running. Most shops will diagnose at about 60-75 bucks/hour and then roll that in to the repair cost if you have them do it. Sometimes the sheer frustration is worth letting a pro do it.

We've got a lot of 'hands-on' folks here, and by all means, learn your bike. If you seriously want to wrench, buy the manual/s, check the diagnostic flow charts, etc.
I wouldn't have it any other way, myself. However, judging from your posts, I would advise you to focus on learning to ride and gradually learn the maintenance/repair side of biking. Otherwise, you'll be adding frustration and negative feelings to your introduction to a great sport/lifestyle.

Ern

Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 AM

I know what i'm doing when it comes to cars.. the Hurricane seems pretty simple. Just a lot of different words for different parts, but in essence, they all do the same thing.
I got the bike for a pretty good deal, from a friend.
That same friend wants me to fix the bike before he signs the title over. He's pushing me into learning the bike, I have mixed feeling about that one, but i'm a quick learner.
I took the spark unit out to go get it tested on Monday. If it's not the spark unit, it's time to break out the multimeter and start checking every ignition related connections to narrow down to root cause.
To be honest, this seems very simple. Three things could cause the bike to stop sparking in all four cylinders. A bad spark unit, bad pulse generators, or a bad connection somewhere. Or could it also by the CDI?
I'm inclined to get it running asap.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Hey Promo, did you figure out what the problem was yet?
I also am a new rider with a 88 hurricane 600 just purchased about a month or so ago and last night i tried cleaning the carbs but it was a bigger job that i suspected, i couldnt even get the carb out, it felt like it was Jammed in there pretty good. Since these are old bikes, everything starts getting coroded and rusted and makes it tougher to get it out to operate. I just ended up spraying carb cleaner into the carb mouth while it was idling but it didn't do anything i think, i haven't ridden her yet since. I'm going to check it out tonight and see what happens.

Keep us posted on ur electric issue?

Cheers

Old 09-05-2011, 04:46 PM

It's more than likely the spark unit.. the bike's been sitting in the garage for quite a while.
I race my car, so most of my money is going into that. I've easily spent 3k+ on track time and gas, that's excluding the regular maintenance and other random **** that breaks while you're on the track.

I am trying to find a spark unit, if you know of any for sale, CHEAP, please let me know.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM

A good auto electrician is worth his or her weight in gold and should sort out what is wrong with all the necessary diagnostic gear they carry. The process of eliminating one part and then another might turn out more costly than using one of those guys or gals! I tried for weeks to sort out a BMW car I owned that was ok one minute and wouldn't run the next. I got an auto guy to look at it and he foud two wires were touching each other in the wiring loom every now and again causing my problem and fixed it in no time at all! Go that route and save yourself a lot of frustration!

Originally Posted by promo
It's more than likely the spark unit.. the bike's been sitting in the garage for quite a while.
I race my car, so most of my money is going into that. I've easily spent 3k+ on track time and gas, that's excluding the regular maintenance and other random **** that breaks while you're on the track.

I am trying to find a spark unit, if you know of any for sale, CHEAP, please let me know.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 AM

Well.. I'm not new to this. lol
All four cylinders aren't getting spark.
Could be one of two things, either the spark unit (easiest thing to replace) or the pulse generators (harder thing to replace) the spark unit seems like it's the cause because the bike used to start right up. It never took more than a second to start the bike.
Now it won't start at all. If the pulse generators were wearing down, wouldn't it effect how quickly the bike starts?

Another issue is that even if I hand the bike off to someone else to fix it, they'll follow the same steps as myself. There aren't any hurricanes around me, so I can't really find someone with a 600F to trade spark units for a minute to see if that's the problem. If I could, that would be terrific.. lol