General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

520 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 520 conversion

OK, so I've read that the 520 conversion is one of the best mods you can make to your bike. I found a kit on eBay for $150 shipped. Comes with new sprockets and X-ring 520 chain. Is this hard to do for a motorcycle newb? Should I get the special chain tools? Is this a good buy or not? In the auction listing, it states that the gear ratio will be changed... how will this affect my gas mileage, and will running at higher RPM's all the time cause me to have to do routine maintenance sooner? Will my motor last as long as with the stock ratio? Thanks for all the help on this one.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Default RE: 520 conversion

as long as the chain is cut to fit your bike you shouldnt need any special tools and if it say diff gear ratio it probly dropped a tooth in the front or up in the back post a link up to the chain you are looking at and i can give you a better idea about if its a good buy or not

Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: mikey1297

as long as the chain is cut to fit your bike you shouldnt need any special tools and if it say diff gear ratio it probly dropped a tooth in the front or up in the back post a link up to the chain you are looking at and i can give you a better idea about if its a good buy or not
ya thats what i thought too, but once i got the kit it turned out to be a rivit master link! i was like F-THIS!! so i went and got a clip master link from the dealer... well the plate thats under the actual clip had to be pressed on!!! so i had to buy like a little mini press espessially designed for pressing chain links! and to even take my old chain off i had to go to the dealer and buy a chain breaker! so in the end i had to buy 2 tools and a little damn part...and if i didnt get the clip master link from the dealer i would have had to buy a chain riviter! one thing after another! it sucked! dont waste your time in buying a 520 kit... especcialy if your chain and sprockets are still good.. Technically it does work but not enough to notice... and yes they do change your gearing and you are like at almost 8k on the freeway! at least on my F4i... so i went back to the stock ratio.. and everything now is hunky dory... AND the ebay stores are a bitch to deal with! they dont even tell you that your item is back orderd or out of stock! omfg it was the worst buying experiance ever[:@]....

Old 09-22-2006, 01:41 PM

Well, anyone that wants to look at the kit, just search for Honda F2 520 on eBay, and it's the kit that's $130 plus $20 shipping. I was thinking about getting it, but after reading that last post I think I'll stick with stock. By the way, I know that some people on here use SpeedoHealer to correct the speedometer. Are the mechanical speedometers on F2's inaccurate like the LED ones on the new models? I don't mean to change the subject of this thread, but I was just curious. Thanks for the advice about the chain though!

Old 09-22-2006, 06:57 PM

what do you mean the e-bay stores are a bitch to deal with i buy stuff there all the time never had 1 problem but dude you dont have to buy a chain press all you need is a c-clamp a cheap one and pop the end of off it and it works fine and you dont need a break jus take a grinder and grind the end of off the side of the link you whant gone, its very simple you jus gotta use your head

Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM

i bought a chain breaker because i didnt have a grinder at hand! and its always good to have the right tool for the job because you will always end up using it again and you will be glad you got it! oh and a C-clamp would not work for me! all the C-clamp did was give me sore hands when i tried to press it on..
REASONS WHY EBAY STORES ARE A BITCH TO DEAL WITH!
1.) Dont reply back to messages

2.) Dont give you feed back

3.) do not inform you that your item is back orderd or out of stock (this one pissed me off the most)

and when you work at a dealer you learn to do things the right way!

Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 PM

sounds like one person had a bad experience....out of more than 100 transactions....i only have mediocre feelings on one....the rest were fair and some were stellar...

Old 09-23-2006, 12:33 AM

^+1 i used a dremel tool on mine i jus said a grinder cause most people have one and i dont under stand why you had problems with the c-clamp i have pressed 14-15 links togther with no problem at all i jus think i would rather buy a tool that works and i could use on something else to, but hey thats jus me

Old 09-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Retired Administrator

The chain tools are easy to use.

Make sure you think about WHY you are wanting/needing a 520 conversion.

Do you ride your bike hard enough to notice the difference a 520 kit makes to warrant the chain and sprockets wearing out faster?

Watch your chain for stretch and sprockets rounding off a little closer if you do.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: spdrmns

REASONS WHY EBAY STORES ARE A BITCH TO DEAL WITH!
1.) Dont reply back to messages

2.) Dont give you feed back

3.) do not inform you that your item is back orderd or out of stock (this one pissed me off the most)

and when you work at a dealer you learn to do things the right way!
exactly what i would've said.