General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 CBR 600 F4i No start, no spark, no bump start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023 | 06:07 AM
|
Default 2002 CBR 600 F4i No start, no spark, no bump start

Hi, I recently bought a 2002 600 F4i off facebook marketplace. It ran and sounded fine, no issues with it. The morning after buying it I laid it down on the left side going about 15 mph. I inspected the bike and it looks like the only issue was the chain that popped off the back sprocket. I got the chain back on the sprocket the next day and went to start it up… no start. The fuel pump primes SOMETIMES, and if the bike has been sitting untouched for a couple hours I will hear a continuous click for about 2 seconds before the lights dim and the click goes away. The engine doesnt try to turn over at all, the only time I hear any sort of trying is when I try to bump start it, it sounds like the transmission tries but the engine doesnt turn over. I am trying to avoid taking it to a mechanic but if it ends up needing to I will.

Old 02-14-2023 | 08:38 AM
Welcome crew

That's a shame as long as you are not hurt that is all that matters and of course learning from the experience.
The clicking is certainly the battery not being charged, get that fixed first and then go from there.

Old 02-14-2023 | 09:37 AM
|

Originally Posted by Al1040
That's a shame as long as you are not hurt that is all that matters and of course learning from the experience.
The clicking is certainly the battery not being charged, get that fixed first and then go from there.
Thank you. Yes thank god I am ok. And ok, the only reason I’m not suspicious of the battery is because it only stopped starting after it being in the garage for a day after the crash. It was running while it was laid down and I quickly went and turned it off after I was able to find my senses. Also I was reading that the bike should bump start if its the battery, but also reading if its completely dead that it wont bump start. Just confused because I bought it less than 24 hours prior to the crash and it turned off and on perfectly. I will charge the battery tonight overnight and let you know how it goes. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2023 | 01:40 PM

Most likely dead battery due to old battery or failed charging system.

Seller will often fully-charge battery with external trickle charger before showing or selling bike. I've bought quite a few bikes that performed fine during test-ride and was completely dead day after I brought it home.

Do these tests, numbers says everything:

1. measure battery voltage with everything OFF, volts=??
2. measure battery voltage during cranking with start-button pressed. volts=???

Also clean and adjust your chain. Shouldn't be so loose it falls off. Set slack according to manual. Very dangerous, can chop off your leg.

Last edited by dannoxyz; 02-15-2023 at 01:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NolanF4i (02-18-2023)
Old 02-15-2023 | 06:32 AM
Welcome crew
Old 02-18-2023 | 08:06 AM
|

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
Most likely dead battery due to old battery or failed charging system.

Seller will often fully-charge battery with external trickle charger before showing or selling bike. I've bought quite a few bikes that performed fine during test-ride and was completely dead day after I brought it home.

Do these tests, numbers says everything:

1. measure battery voltage with everything OFF, volts=??
2. measure battery voltage during cranking with start-button pressed. volts=???

Also clean and adjust your chain. Shouldn't be so loose it falls off. Set slack according to manual. Very dangerous, can chop off your leg.

Hey everybody so it looks like the battery was the culprit, just like said in the message above. I believe he charged it just enough for me to get home. I charged the battery for about 5 hours and now its turning on every time. Probably still going to get a new battery and a tender. As for the chain, it fell off when the bike slid in the mud it didn’t come off just from riding, I put it back on and tightened it and so far everything is fine. I did an oil change though and it looked very light, a friend told me it looks like a lot of metal in it. Makes me wonder because I had a mustang with a blown head gasket and itd suck if my bike had one too.

Old 02-18-2023 | 11:56 AM

Sent sample of that used oil to lab for analysis. Will be able to tell exactly how much metal is on oil, where it came from and if amounts are abnormal.