General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 F4 runs amazing, no idle...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 F4 runs amazing, no idle...

hello all, i am very new to forums and street bikes for that matter so if im going about this wrong or this has been discussed already i apologize in advanced.

my girlfriend bought me this 2000 cbr f4 from a neighbor whom let it sit for about 2 years, so like any motor with carbs i assumed slow jets, mains, needles etc. where gummed up and some carb cleaner and a good battery would get this thing running.

well im no honda tech and wasnt sure if certain tools to sync were needed and what have you so i dumped the bowls by unscrewing the valve screw on each bowl. came out nasty and yellow colored.

i bought a fresh battery and i drained the tank, blew out all fuel lines, took off the fuel filter and blew the living sh*t out of it with the compressor.

i then vacuumed out the air box and blew out the filter with compressed air.

i filled the carbs up through the line into the carbs with 2+2 gum eating carb cleaner till each bowl was full of carb cleaner and pouring back out of the line in. i then added stabile to the newly added 94 octane fuel, slapped everything back together.

the only way to get it started is to give it a shot or two of starting fluid through the intake vents. it will start, idle high due to the starting fluid, then once the starting fluid burns up its back to relying on fuel which eventually bogs out and dies unless heavy twisting the throttle and reving high.

fuel delivery is def present becuz the bowls continue to fill after running the bike. but still no idle.

now im no expert, but my assumption is lack of consistent fuel delivery (spent fuel pump) or, still stuck jets. i really need some help on all this if anyone has delt with these issues before any help will be much appreciated

bike has almost 23k if this helps

Old 07-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Sounds like you need to pull the carbs off and completely clean them, its a pain but its got to be done I just went through about the same thing, BTW welcome to the forum.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sccbr600
Sounds like you need to pull the carbs off and completely clean them, its a pain but its got to be done I just went through about the same thing, BTW welcome to the forum.
+1 and welcome to the forum.

I would remove the carbies from the bike and clean them individually - you shouldn't need to separate the bank.

Look particularly at the needles and seat (and perhaps replace with new), blow out all other jets, check float height, check the diaphragms in the top of the carby, no holes and seated correctly. Once satisfied, reassemble to the bike.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

What's your idle at. Supposed to be at 1300 +- 100

Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Pretty common for pilot jets to get clogged up and cause the problems you are experiencing. Tool up with some steel guitar string and take your time. CRC is a ketone based solvent in a spray can for those places you can't reach.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. Your girlfriend sounds like a keeper.