General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000f carburetors leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013 | 10:44 PM
|

its a 93 1000f has been sitting but was stored properly inside with the carbs bone dry and fuel stabilizer in the tank with pet **** in the off position. bike was started last about 11 months ago no problems but when started today the carbs ran gas like **** through a screen door, it ran from over flow and other unknown places(as in so much fuel that seemed to come from every where) but only when the vacuum line was connected to the petcock. I disconnected the vacuum line and like an act of god the river of gas would stop and the bike would then idle and rev nice for about 10 minutes tell the float bowls drained.................anyways as my youth speaks louder than my life experience my bull headed father (of whom im just like ) says its a bad pet ****...... i on the other hand say its a stuck float bowl(s) and bad carb gasket and fuel lines(seeing as it leaks at the pet **** where the fuel line connects) but the gas seems to come evenly from both the left and right carb any help would be much appreciated (especially if im right )

basically i wanna know what you guys think and if you suggest a carb rebuild or know of any other reasons than what i listed and or if what i listed is the problem....... when i said left and right carb are leaking at the same rate i meant the left pair and right pair...

Last edited by IDoDirt; 08-25-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 08-25-2013 | 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

One of the most common places for leaks to occur is on the T fitting O rings between the 2 pairs of carburetors. Over time, and we're talking 20 years here for a 1993, they dry out and become brittle and hard. There is usually a little corrosion there as well and the slightest movement of the fuel lines can break the seal and then they leak like a sieve.

This is the O rings. Notice the pits in the outside sealing surface and how squared off their profile is.

This is a 1000F carburetor. Using scotchbrite pad to clean the interior surface where the O ring mates.
Name:  768e40d6-c23d-40b9-905e-7b359a668607.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  188.2 KB

Old 08-25-2013 | 10:55 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Great article and answer Bill.
I fully agree
Age and lack of use will cause far more leakage to occur than keeping the bike on the road.
So at the expense of upsetting your Dad, 93_cbr1000f, I'd say you're probably a lot closer to the mark than he is

Old 08-25-2013 | 11:07 AM
|

thanks guys i will tear her down and check them and i ordered a rebuild any way so i will replace that and everything else in there..... i will post pics of them later

Old 08-25-2013 | 09:02 PM
|

okay so sorry guys i decided to tear down the other family Honda (I refused to work on my dads R1) and i figure i wait tell the gaskets are here to fix my bike but when i get to it im sure i will have some questions but i did strip my pacific coast (or pc800) and i promised pics so i figure why not [IMG]http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1377480646[/IMG] its the left carb and i have one question (not bike specific) about a carb if the float bowl needle was stuck in the down position (or up) any ways stuck closed (as pushed all the way down in its slot) this would cause no fuel not an excess correct (like puddles on the butterfly's such an excess) bike was also sitting as you can tell i just wanna know if you guys think after i clean the float and needles it will stop this or if anything else comes to mind as to what would cause this in the fuel system let me know thanks again guys and i appreciate the answer with pics Idodirt should be very helpfull.......And shadow thanks for lending a hand in the war with my dad.......me 1 him 596.... im gaining on him

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 08-29-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: broken image link
Old 09-14-2013 | 11:35 PM
|

okay so a little late but been busy with school and the mail on these parts was slow.... To start out about 2 weeks ago I became a little ashamed to claim the Wilkins name I got my float bowl gaskets and T-fitting O-Rings and I began my tear down as soon as they got here pulled all the carbs (easy) flip them over and what do i see!....... RTV!

I then new where my leak was! and instead of striping them down to the butterfly's and giving them a acid bath, looked pretty clean on the inside and stored right, so I just used B12, air compressor and a Exacto knife got the rtv off sprayed out the jets.

I put them back together with new float gaskets then the head aches started the boots from airbox to carbs had basically become plastic so using a trick that worked on my 80's honda big red i simmered them on the stove in water worked like a charm and i had no more leaks in the fuel department

back track a sec

so while on the simmer i decided to check my mixture screws D shaped ones.........I cleaned the needles and inspected the tiny o-rings all seemed in order but found the jets set from 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 turns out???????? my dad seems to think its like this for my V&H pipe but i dont think it would be more out but rather a hair in do to the more free flow nature of the system and im pretty sure the staring point is 2 1/2 out with like a 1/4 turn in or out for adjustment any ideas behind the 3 1/2????????? please correct me if I am wrong

anyways left them set for now tell i double checked with yall.... got it put together stinks the hole damn street up with the smell of rich exhaust pretty sure i know the culprit (cough 1 hole turn to far)

LUMPY idle like not sustainable and only will idle after shes good and warm and bobs from 1200 RPM down to 1000 RPM and back up and after idle i get hang time........... like so say im chillin at a really long red light bob the throttle to keep her started and then race to the next red light it will sit at the red light at 3000 RPM (am not touching the throttle) it starts to drops real slow and sluggish back to 1 2 bob...... same thing for coasting after sitting but after a WOT blast or cruising along with little to no stops she is crisp on the rpm drop in a gear change or coast.... P.S. already checked plugs, volts, and spark seem to be on par and its got NGK platinum or double not sure but only a 1000 miles on them

im thinking really out of sync carbs or maybe a sticky needle do to weak spring...... cant find springs anywhere though anyboy know where to get them maybe or is it just loading up with fuel causing a hang time?????..... I do know if i choke it while idling, if it stalls its flooded up for a good 15 minutes and wont start again

all my dad hears is so i need help from else where.........any advise would be great especially by Monday, gunna carb sync and need the mix screw advice the most! or i waste my carb sync messing with them after......sorry for the long post guys just trying to cover everything so maybe we can easily acheived the answer

Last edited by 93_cbr1000f; 09-15-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2013 | 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

So, did you end up doing a soaking/acid bath on the carburetor bodies ? If not, I'm thinking that you've still got some blockage. I would also agree that the idle jets are turned out too far. I would go back to initial factory setting and then work from there.

Old 09-15-2013 | 07:59 PM
|

i didn't think a blockage in the pilot jets would cause the throttle to stick like that??? or is there just no explanation that comes to mind

didn't end up giving them the acid bath i just made sure all my jet passage ways had flow and sprayed them out with B12 chem-tool carb cleaner...... i also took my air compressor put a fine rubber tip on it and gave all the jets a blast through

even though they appeared very clean i do understand the deceitful nature of the carburetor

my idle issues settled out a good bit though (left boot slipped off on the underside ) still rough but will idle now