General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 CBR 1000RR Burning Oil and making ticking sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 06 CBR 1000RR Burning Oil and making ticking sounds

Ok, here is my issue. I have an 06 CBR 1000 with 9200 miles on it. Owned since brand new, and I have done all the mainteneance myself. Recentally, I have been experiencing quite a bit of oil coming out of my exhaust. It only happens when I release the throttle from a higher RPM. I also noticed there is a ticking sound that I hear that sounds like it is coming from behind the clutch. It is pretty loud, but goes away after about 10 minutes of riding. Another thing I noticed is that after I drive for a good while, I notice that my bike doesn't want to start as easy, and it seems almost as if the battery is dead or dying, but I am positive that it is not. If I let it sit for a while after driving it a long distance, then it starts right up. I haven't noticed any overheating issues, nor does it appear that I have any metal shaving or anti-freeze in my oil. I will be honest and I do wheelie her and have been since she was broken in. Thought I might have blown a ring, but did compression test and all cylinders are right on at 172PSI. What else could it possibly be? Brought it to my local dealer and they told me that it would be cheaper to buy a used engine than to have them look at it because the labor. WTF is that? Anyway, any help/ideas would be great! Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cbr1000rrboyz
Brought it to my local dealer and they told me that it would be cheaper to buy a used engine than to have them look at it because the labor.
im sorry to hear that your dealer is completely incompetent. But im sure you can find a good mechanic that can diagnose the problem and fix it for ya. They are out there.

do you ride aggressively? a 9k mile honda should not be having any problems unless youve done something to it. any mods or changes? hahaha i just reread your post and it says you do wheelies. i love wheelies but the abuse the bike takes does catch up =(

1. the ticking is probably the CCT since you say it goes away after a few minutes (when ticking stops it means the engine oil has reached the correct temp).

2. Oil coming out of your exhaust?! check your plugs and see if they are fouled. I bet your sparks are fouled up bad. Clean injectors and check fuel lines while your at it.

3. Lastly, your having a hard time starting the bike after its been warmed up and ridden. Open the throttle 1mm (ever so slightly) before you press the starter. Should fire right up immediately. (check your honda manual for specific high temp starting procedures)

Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Angry

Thanks Jpanside for your comment. The bike is riden hard I guess, the way it should be riden. With the exception of wheelies, I don't think my riding style should have any impact on the motor, but who knows I guess. I see the 08 CBR 1000rr's have all kinds of problems, so idk.

As far as mods to my bike, I have a PCIII and a Jardine slip-on exhaust which I installed 2 years ago. Since I have been having issues, I have disconnected the PCIII, and ran it off the ECU and it still does the same thing. I did check the plugs, and they didn't seem that bad for the original plugs, and they were not black at all. Actually, they were all grey and looked like they are fine. I checked my upper injectors as well and they seemed to be fine. The fuel lines all looked good too.

I have noticed that sometimes I see oil coming out of the fill cap. Not a lot, but there is an occasional spot here and there, so I am thinking maybe something to do with oil pressure? I asked another dealer, and they said they highly doubted it, and said it was a waste of time and money checking it (are there any good dealers in CT!! )

1. the ticking is probably the CCT since you say it goes away after a few minutes (when ticking stops it means the engine oil has reached the correct temp).
What is the CCT? I was thinking maybe a bearing is going bad, and when the temp goes up, the metal expands and that's why the ticking goes away? And I guess it takes more than a few minutes. Maybe 15 or 20 minutes. When bike is cold, ticking is quite obvious and is clearly coming from the clutch side; bearing, oil pump chain, etc.?

2. Oil coming out of your exhaust?! check your plugs and see if they are fouled. I bet your sparks are fouled up bad. Clean injectors and check fuel lines while your at it.
Checked plugs and are fine. Checked compression as well and all at the recommended 172psi. Checked and cleaned injectors and fuel lines and all seem fine. Even added some injector cleaner to no avail.

3. Lastly, your having a hard time starting the bike after its been warmed up and ridden. Open the throttle 1mm (ever so slightly) before you press the starter. Should fire right up immediately. (check your honda manual for specific high temp starting procedures)
This is how I typically have to start it now after I ride it. Prior to this year, and prior to all these problems that seemed to happen all at once, my bike never had any problems starting. One time after riding, I couldn't even get it started. I had to pop it. It seems like the batteries is drained after riding, or the bike is not firing over properly. Crazy thing is that the bike runs perfectly fine. No loss of power, bucking, or anything. I know I could just keep riding it, but I want to fix it before it costs me several thousand dollars to fix a blown motor, or worse, fix me because the motor ceased while I was flying down the highway!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:48 AM

CCT= cam chain tensioner. It uses oil pressure to keep tension on the cam chain so that it doesn't slap around. Oil pressure builds as your bike heats up so if the CCT is bad, it needs more pressure to do its job.

Are you sure you are burning oil? Exhaust can spit out dark droplets if you are running rich. Then again, your plugs would probably be wet if you were rich. If if is indeed oil, and your compression is good, plus plugs are clean, it is probably coming from the valve guides.

As for the battery... not sure what you mean. Did it turn over but not fire up? Did it not turn over at all? (aka make no noise) Is it still doing this all the time? sometimes?

Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Thanks for telling me what CCT IS! That's what I thought it was.

As far as oil coming out I'm not sure I guess. It smells like oil but it doesn't look like my oil level is going down at all.

The starting issue happens after I have been driving for a while. It turns over but battery sounds drained or dying. It does start usually, but .mentioned it because I thought it may help diagnose the problem. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 AM

I have the same issue with my 05 600rr when I try to start it. It starts to turn over, the battery is fine. The electric starter even makes that whining noise but the actual engine doesn't start.

I usually wait a bit and it starts right after.

Annoying to say the least.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by cbr1000rrboyz
Thanks for telling me what CCT IS! That's what I thought it was.

As far as oil coming out I'm not sure I guess. It smells like oil but it doesn't look like my oil level is going down at all.

The starting issue happens after I have been driving for a while. It turns over but battery sounds drained or dying. It does start usually, but .mentioned it because I thought it may help diagnose the problem. Thanks for your help!
Look for manual CCTs, they are very easy to install and they fix the problem forever.

Pay attention to your oil level. If it isn't reducing drastically, then you are probably running a little rich. I don't know anything about mapping the new fuel injected bikes, but that is how you would fix it.

Your battery just may be going bad. You could stop at advanced auto or pep boys or whatever is in your area, and have them test your battery for you. They normally only last around 5 years depending on how well you take care of them so, maybe you are just due for a new one. Battery test is the first thing to do though.