CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Oil

I'm buring oil at a concerning rate. Could it be worn rings, or head gasket? Its only on one cylinder since I pulled the plugs and found one blackened. My 93 has 48,000. Love the bike and don't want to get rid of it. I'm a "rookie" machanic but would like to fix the problem at minimal cost. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks, Matt

Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not head gasket. My guess would be a rings or valve seals. How much oil are you burning? Smoking a lot when you get on it?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same/similar problem at x-mas, get a compression test done as this may tell you if you have a cracked/worn ring. My oil level would be on the lower mark every tank or so, it ended up fouling #3 spark plug so bad(black and oily) it would not fire on that cylinder. In the end I was having to replace the #3 plug every 2-3 tanks of juice. I even tried some 'engine honey' this helped to slow oil consumption a bit but in the end I had to get the top end rebuilt as it was blowing oil over stuff when first started, you could try holding a piece of white paper near the exhaust when you first start it for the day, mine used to make tiny black spots but only on start up so it was prolly valve stem seals as well as the cracked rings.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 AM

how much should i expect to pay a shop for a top end rebuild? Is this something i can do in my garage?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by NE1000F
how much should i expect to pay a shop for a top end rebuild? Is this something i can do in my garage?
how much it costs really depends on how complete the rebuild is and where you are. replacing all the wearable parts and machine work costs more than just putting valve seals in it.

can you do it....? only you know that. have you ever rebuilt an engine? and in you garage? do you have the tools needed, the experience to know what your looking at, the ability to put the puzzle together perfectly the first time, and the facilities to do it? if you do, go for it. it's not impossible, just a lot of work. otherwise, save the headache, and find someone that can do it right the first time.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NE1000F
I'll relate a story of when I rebuilt my old '84 Yamaha FJ1100. I am not a mechanic and changing spark plugs and oil and an occasional valve adjustment was as much as I ever did to any engine. However, I did have a factory service manual that told step-by-step how to do anything on the bike.

I wheeled it into my basement and slowly took everything apart - I mean EVERYTHING - right down to the bare frame. I put things along a wall in the order I took them off the bike and reversed the process when it was time to put it back together. Groups of nuts and bolts got put in their own Baggies with labels.

For the engine boring and valve work I took it to a machine shop. The whole process took over a month but I was in no hurry. I had the frame repainted, did some custom things here and there, etc. I was actually surprised when I got it all back together and pressed the starter button and it worked.

Anyway, you can do it if you have the time, some basic tools and a service manual. Just read the book and follow the instructions. If you don't think you can do it then don't even begin trying.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 PM

I have done a few things on my own but never opened up a motor before. I know one thing I will have no idea what is good and what is bad. Meaning I wont know what to look for.
As for smoke out of the exhaust, not much if none at all. I am getting oil spitting. My riding buddy's can smell it and see some little smoke when I get on it.
when I call around for pricing, what should I expect for the high end, total rebuild? Should I replace all of the rings and seals on the rest of the pistons, or no?

Thanks, Matt

Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

call around to shops in your area and get some quotes. note what exactly is included for that price. budget at least 50% more, for extra stuff inside that turns up on tear down. make sure they include the machine work in the estimate.

if the oil is burning when you get on it, the rings are bad. btw, what kind of oil are you running?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My top end rebuild set me back about AU$2800, the Honda dealer did not want to do the work so they quoted me AU$4000-$4500 for the same job. I believe it was so much cheaper at the non Honda dealer because I was able to source the parts needed for the job. My bike only seemed to blow a little smoke but it ended up havng broken rings that wore a groove into the barrel.

Last edited by jarvid; 10-20-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hear is my take as my car takes a drink now and then. It is driving me crazy. I can do an oil change and drive a few hunderd miles without using a drop of oil. Then she will drink 2 quarts out of the clear blue, no smoking or other signs such as leaks. I top her off and she is good until the next oil change without using a single drop. It drives me crazy.

From what I can come up with is that, it has to be the oil scrapers sticking. I am starting to think that the ethanol in the gas is gumming up the rings and causing them to stick.

So, with that in mind, and if you really want to **** off Shadow, you can do what I have done. I dumped SeaFoam in my oil to dissolve the gunk on my oil scrapers. I seamed to help. It has stopped taking a drink to date. I also wind her up more often to bust the gunk up.

As you have easy access to the plugs, I would suggest you pour some SeaFoam in the plug holes and let it sit over night to soak the rings.

If that doesn't help you have other problems.

Quick Reply: Burning Oil