General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Rep 1000rr bogging out at 8000 rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 05 Rep 1000rr bogging out at 8000 rpm's

Hello all,

I have a 05 Rep 1000rr with only 600 miles (purchased from a military guy with no time to ride) and it was in storage. Bike has a full Yoshi exhaust w/PC3. Bike starts, idles and runs fine.. BUT if the bike is in neutral and at idle it will bog out immediately if you crack the throttle to a hard rev. If you baby it, it revs up just fine and you can snap the throttle at any rpm without any hesitation. It's just at idle. The other problem is it bogs out at 8000 rpm's also. It has done this since day 1 even with the stock exhaust. It's in the shop and they're saying it's definitely a fuel issue. They're scratching theirs heads also. I know I'm reaching but could any of the injectors be bad, or does the ECM/ECU (computer) have any regulation of the fuel?

The reason I'm asking about the ECM/ECU is because this bike was originally in Japan and built to Japanese specs. Japan regulates their factory horse power to only 97hp for safety. They also block most of the air intake. I have since change out to U.S. air intake and air funnels (larger ports) but I'm still having the same bogging out that I had with the factory exhaust and air intake. The Bike also has the H.I.S.S. (Honda ignition security system) so changing to a U.S. EMC does not allow the bike to start at all.

If the ECM has anything to do (acting as a governor) with it at high speeds, what would cause it to bog at idle while in neutral ?
confused, any suggestions ?
Thanks all

Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Thats a tough one. I am only guessing here, so take it for what its worth. But if it were me, I'd be looking into getting a US wiring harness and ECU. If you change out the harness, you can change out the ECU and bypass the HISS. Im sure the ECU is electronically limiting the timing of the bike. I would strongly suspect thats how the hp is limited, is by just cutting spark once the bike hits that rpm.

as for bogging at idle with a hard throttle input, I would think the timing doesnt advance far or fast enough to keep up with the fast increase in rpms with the restricted ECU. Again, just a thought...

There may be fuel related restrictions as well, but I kind of doubt it. Its much cheaper just to limit the power electronically for mass production. so for that, I'd be looking into swapping the harness and ECU. I'm not sure, but I think the ignition will also have to be replaced, But I would wait to see before buying one.

I'd also check on ebay. Harness and ECU's off used bikes can be had pretty cheap.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Thanks Justasquid, I like your thinkn' and was kinda leaning that way. I'm just not 100% if the ECU is programmed and act as a RPM governor of sort. But its kinda making sense that it is. I agree, a harness, ECU and an ignition lock might just be the answer.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM

I wonder if the cylinder heads are different also ? smaller pistons = lower Hp ?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM

I doubt it. A lot of bikes can be restricted by the age of the rider, then derestricted as the rider becomes older. I can't imagine the de-restriction being anything more than a few external changes.

Im sure its still a 1000cc, so smaller pistons would mean less cc's.

EDIT: Ok, I just googled a search and came up with this. It may shed some light on what you need to do. Its from 1000rr.net, and its how to derestrict the 04-05 Japan 1000RR.... It looks legit, so hopefully it will help..

in short, it looks like an air intake mod, exhaust mod, and an ecu mod is required to get full power.

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=874475

Last edited by justasquid; 06-01-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Thanks Squid for your homework.. I saw your info and very interesting! I'll give you my results shortly.
Thanks again and safe riding brother!