General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 cbr 125, letting the clutch out in neutral kills the bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 05 cbr 125, letting the clutch out in neutral kills the bike

So last week I brought a 05 cbr 125 r with about 20k on the clock please forgive me I'm new to geared setups (good old twist and go lol)
after servicing the brakes, charging the battery and putting some pressure into the tires moved on to finally getting her fired up
after figuring out the immobilizer I got her started fresh plug as well but there's a really weird problem
the bike is in neutral it's indicating neutral and I can move the bike without the clutch lever being pulled but if I try to start the bike the bike will rock forward as if it is in gear and is unable to start without the clutch lever being held in
if I release the clutch the revs drop and the bike even with giving it more revs it struggles and dies or starts to pull as if it was in first
I've tried this with the sidestand both up and down it seems like as soon as the clutch lever is let out the load of the clutch is too much for the bike

I have moved the bike forward and back and seem to be able to get up and down all the gears successfully but it seems that I can't get a true neutral

Any ideas ?

Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you have two issues to solve here ? I’m a bit confused. The first being finding neutral, and the second being the bike struggles to pull away. I understand your new to geared bikes and I’m not sure if you know this already.
Neutral should be simple enough, jump on,clutch, no need to have her running, be prepared to rock her a little to ease the shift and just tap peddle down to the bottom. Once your sure your there, a gentle lift with your (just imagine the gap between 1-2) toes and you should be in neutral . Turn on your ignition to see green light to confirm. Neutral is felt then confirmed so she should roll easily now.
Getting her to pull away we can cover when we can confirm what gear your in.
I apologise if you are aware of all this and keep posting about your issue so we can get you sorted.
Best of luck mate

Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Hey thanks for the reply
my main issue at the moment is I can't start the bike in "neutral" without the clutch lever being pulled in

As far as I understand the bike is in "neutral"
the bike says that it's in "neutral" as the neutral light is on and can freely move the bike with the engine off

However when I try to start the bike I have to pull the clutch lever in as when the starter button I pressed the bike rocks forward a bit and struggles to start (I've charged the battery completely after draining it)

Once the bike had been started (only possible with the clutch lever being pulled in) if I try to release the clutch lever in "neutral" she starts to bog and then the engine dies
ive tried matching the revs but the bike really doesn't seem happy about it and if I do this i can feel that the bike is trying to move

I know this sounds really odd but like I say with the bike off no clutch lever being pulled I can happily push her about but then when it comes to start it it's a different story

Looking at taking her to a Honda garage next payday as I'm in over my head a bit here but I'm hoping I can try fix it before it has to come to that

Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM

Adjust whatever you have set up at your clutch lever to completely opposite of what it is then post your findings.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:47 PM

Sorry about the delayed reply been a busy week

so I completely slacked the clutch cable bike will successfully run in neutral with the lever not being touched

I spent today playing around with the clutch cable
When I can get the clutch to the right adjustment for biting and pulling off in first the the issue comes back

For the bike to run in neutral I have to have to clutch cable slacked to the point where it does nothing as in won't bite for me to pull off in first just sits there ticking over going nowhere

Had I look through the Haynes manual and should I check the part that presses against the clutch plate is set correctly and also check the return spring at the same time

I've got 3 days off next week so im more than likely going to crack the clutch housing off and have a look anyways

Again thanks for the reply

Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 PM

No need to take your casing apart yet.
Yes. Typically you should have adjustment at both ends of your cable. Follow the cable down to your lower casing and you’ll see the threaded mechanism you need to take the slack away from your handle bars.
Adjust the bottom accordingly and leave the fine tuning availability for your handle bar lever.

Last edited by wes 17; 01-25-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:06 PM

Ok so if I've understood that right

screw the clutch housing adjuster (the one with 2 nuts ) the correct way untill there's no slack in the cable and then fine tune the adjustment at the lever ?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:14 PM

Don’t rob all the slack from the top in one go, leave some slack (5mm). Don’t have it at all tight. Bring the lever back into operation via bottom end adjustment though and then try engaging gears and pulling away. Once your nearly there you can leave the bottom adjuster alone and fine tune with the top. How does she behave when trying to put in gear or pulling away ?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:22 PM

AHH ok I'll try this on my next day off

When I adjusted the clutch cable so it would bite and pull off and ride she's fine not a problem doesn't need an excessive amount of revs to get going biting point wasn't too high or low and she goes up in to second and continues to ride fine

Once re-adjusted the cable like you've suggested I'll see what's what's and let you know

Can't take her out for a full ride just yet only been around the block a few times
times but apart from this fault she's a dream to ride I can't wait to get her out full time

Old 01-26-2019, 03:02 PM

Glad your making progress with your problem. Keep going and you’ll get there.
Best of luck mate