General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 CBR 1000RR Bone Stock - Bogs off the line

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 CBR 1000RR Bone Stock - Bogs off the line

I am new to this forum, lots of good stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion to improve "off the line" speed? I find the clutch is strong and very responsive, however the engine bogs a bit when I take off from a red light/intersection. I find the more throttle I give it, the more it sort of bogs.

Bike has 7800 miles on it and was tuned up (plugs, filters) about 2500 miles ago.

Any suggestions on what to try first is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 PM

How long have you been riding? It takes awhile to get the throttle/ clutch right off the line (I still screw it up). If I do it wrong and don't let the clutch out fast enough or do not give it enough throttle it bogs out on me.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM

I also have an 05 1000RR, but I have 17000 on it. Unless Im trying to take off fast, i just let out on the clutch to get moving. My bike has enough torque it just takes off without any gas applied. I also dont have any bogging issues. I do have a 2 up rear sprocket, but even before I put that on, I had the same taking off habits. I would guess 50 percent of the time I don't use gas when taking off. the only time I really use the gas and the clutch is when I want to take off fast. If Im just cruising around normal, I don't use the gas.

Im not really sure what your issues could be. if your applying even more gas as you let out on the clutch, it certainly shouldn't bog more, it should take off faster.

Are you the original owner? If not, someone may have modded the bike, then put it back to stock in order to sell it. If they did, chances are pretty good they didnt get exhaust servo tuned back correctly. You could check to make sure your exhaust servo is hooked up, or working correctly.

other than that, I really don't know. If your bike isnt throwing any codes, I wouldn't think it was your FPR or anything.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. Been riding this bike daily for a bit over a year. I am the second owner. First owner was 58 years old when he bought it, he said he was selling it cause it was too fast and that the power scared him. When I bought it, I had it inspected and tuned, the authorized service people told me it was bone stock and compression testing fell into the normal ranges. Not sure there was anything checked on the exhaust servo, I shall have that looked at.

Is it reasonable to think the bike's break in period was abnormal causing this slight bogging off the line? Do you think it would be wise for me to consider having the throttle adjusted to be a bit more responsive/agile?

Thanks again for your input fellas, I really appreciate it. If I find the issue, I'll be sure to post.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

any mods? A aftermarket pipe could make it bog if it hasnt been tuned for it

Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 PM

Does it idle high? Air/fuel ratio okay? Could it be running rich? Any backfires?

Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 AM

I am sure the bike would be fine. We are talking about when you are trying to launch it off the line right? Not just a slow start from a stop. If the bike is working fine with slower starts and seems fine through all of the gears then you probably need to just find the right combo of throttle and clutch when you are taking off.