General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 01 F4i issue that no one can figure out. Not even Honda of Tupelo! Hummm

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The 01 F4i issue that no one can figure out. Not even Honda of Tupelo! Hummm

Ok, I still have the problem! It has to get fixed because I need the bike for mmi in january!!!! The bike stayed at honda for a month, they fixed nothing, rode it twice, and charged me 40 bucks. A guy that grad from mmi took a look at it. Checked the injectors and fuel pump. Both were great, I still think it may be the fuel pump, it could just have low psi when the bike decides to act up.

Ok another run down on whats up. The bike seems to feel like someone tugs on the bike ever so slightly a few times before it does the quick pause and then right back to smooth running. But if you pull in the clutch it dies. If you try to restart it now the bike will not start unless you hold the throttle half open or let the bike set in the off position for a few mins.

How the bike acted previously... First time it acted up, Bike did the pause a few times, pulled in the clutch and it had a low idle. Cycled the ignition and it ran great again. Then it slowly got worse to where it would die after I pulled in the clutch. Seemed like it done it when I'd hit a bump in the road, so I checked all connectors and di-electric greased them, no luck! So I figured the bumps may cause me to let off the throttle a little which activated the issue.

Things ive checked... all the connectors, and they are fine. Replaced the fpr, ran great for a month, then this issue started. Plugs and oil were changed with the fpr. Done the tip sensor mod, had the problem before this mod. Did the cct mod, which doesnt matter in this case. Everything else is stock, with 7500 miles on the bike. Im running fairing less, with a stunt headlight, and no ram air tubes. This was all done a month before this problem.

This is a ghost issue because on a random day i can ride and it will not do anything it shouldnt. Then get up for work the next morning and go 100 feet from the house and it does this in between shifts. Seems like the issue is more likely to happen if you leave on a cold motor. When I do leave on a cold motor I short shift to be easy on the motor until it gets the temp up a little.

Things I think it can be.... A sensor, ecu, or the fuel pump. If anyone can figure this out it'd be great because im about to just start changing **** out till I get it. Might have everything new by the end of this but I'll be damned if something gets the best of me!

I have to have this bike for trans. at mmi, this is a go or stay home issue for me. So please everyone study this and please give a educated guess, And not the "did you check the battery connection" and "it could have water in the gas" replys..... Im way ahead of the simple stuff, promise.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM

It may be the fuel pump like your thinking. If the fuel pump randomly cavitates, it can loose pressure and kill the engine. Even a slight drop in pressure can kill the engine as the injectors require quite a bit of pressure to operate. However, I really don't know why pulling in the clutch would have anything to do with it. if the bike is starving for fuel because of the fuel pump, the bike would die regardless if the clutch was pulled in or not.

I wouldn't rule out the FPR again. Even though its been replaced only a month ago, it very well could be bad again. I would at least inspect it to make sure its not failing again. It sure sounds like the FPR is acting up again.

Do you have any other electrical things hooked up? I know you don't have the fairings, so I would assume you have some sort of street fighter set up.. So is it possible you have wires being powered from insufficient sources? What Im getting at is, if you have high demand power requirements, and are using a source that is not rated for it, its possible the wires could have been damaged internally. They may work for awhile, such as the month you mentioned, but after a period of time, the wires may not be able to withstand the high demand.

Have you inspected the throttle position sensor?

There should also be an air temp sensor that could cause some issues. I don't know that it would kill the engine, but could certainly cause irratic idle and surging.

I know, probably not much help, but unfortunately, these types of gremlins usually are only found by replace and pray.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
It may be the fuel pump like your thinking. If the fuel pump randomly cavitates, it can loose pressure and kill the engine. Even a slight drop in pressure can kill the engine as the injectors require quite a bit of pressure to operate. However, I really don't know why pulling in the clutch would have anything to do with it. if the bike is starving for fuel because of the fuel pump, the bike would die regardless if the clutch was pulled in or not.

I wouldn't rule out the FPR again. Even though its been replaced only a month ago, it very well could be bad again. I would at least inspect it to make sure its not failing again. It sure sounds like the FPR is acting up again.

Do you have any other electrical things hooked up? I know you don't have the fairings, so I would assume you have some sort of street fighter set up.. So is it possible you have wires being powered from insufficient sources? What Im getting at is, if you have high demand power requirements, and are using a source that is not rated for it, its possible the wires could have been damaged internally. They may work for awhile, such as the month you mentioned, but after a period of time, the wires may not be able to withstand the high demand.

Have you inspected the throttle position sensor?

There should also be an air temp sensor that could cause some issues. I don't know that it would kill the engine, but could certainly cause irratic idle and surging.

I know, probably not much help, but unfortunately, these types of gremlins usually are only found by replace and pray.
Your helping just fine, intelligant answers is what im looking for.

I wanna add one thing it did one day to maybe give another helpful hint before I make a reply to your statment. One day I was riding to get the bike to act up and maybe help me figure out something. I was setting at a stop sign idling talking to a friend. The bike went from running smooth to a low idle. I reved it a few times, not hard revs either and the bike smoothed back out and returned to correct idle rpm. Maybe that will help also.

Ok, Im with you on everything you posted, I agree with most. The only thing I dont agree with is the fpr. I was thinking like you until I was taking a shower a minute ago thinking about what we thought. But I think now, If the fpr was going bad again it would be a more common problem, like everytime I ride it. Reason being is because the fpr has a simple task, and does the same thing everytime you ride the bike. Its to simple of a part and has to simple of a function not to mess up everytime. That being said, I may be wrong. How could I inspect it to see if anything is wrong, cause I can check it anyways.

Now the tp sensor, Ive thought about this one to but how could inspect it without riding around with a volt meter on it, hoping the bike acts up. That goes for the air temp sensor also...

The fuel pump, the guy from mmi checked the psi and said it was about 14 psi, I think. Some where around that anyways, but that was with the bike running properly. Said the fuel filter was good also. I still think it could be the fuel pump because when it does the pause, technical it is dying but it starts back from engine momentum. Liking pushing a car off from a dead battery. If I had to guess... But the day it did the low idle at the stop sign, it should of died. Unless it could have been the most minor change in fuel psi ever! My luck, I wouldnt doubt it...

As far as electrical **** goes. The only difference from stock is where I wired in the stunt headlight to the factory headlight connectors. High and low beam. And the tip sensor mod, which was done after the problem started.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel filter maybe? the petcock in the correct position?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Im reading on the net and stock fuel psi is suppose to be 48-50 psi. How the hell would it run on around 14psi? He must of checked it wrong, may need to retake mmi classes!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Thornton
Im reading on the net and stock fuel psi is suppose to be 48-50 psi. How the hell would it run on around 14psi? He must of checked it wrong, may need to retake mmi classes!
I've learned from my classes that just because ppl pass n grad doesnt mean they know a dayum thing lol

Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM

That guy from mmi said fuel filter was good, but if he doesnt know the proper psi who the hell knows if its good! Ill get around to looking at it, may just change it for the hell of it. And what petcock? Only petcock I know of is on carb stuff. Where is it on fuel injection?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I've learned from my classes that just because ppl pass n grad doesnt mean they know a dayum thing lol
agreed

Old 08-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Playfulgod, if you can discribe where it is and what it should look like, I can find it and check it out.

Edit*...

I know what it is, just forgot it was called that lol. Ill go check.

Last edited by DJ_Thornton; 08-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:21 PM

umm the F4i may not have a petcock anymore, the F4 does, its just set to use the res+ all the time.

Quick Reply: The 01 F4i issue that no one can figure out. Not even Honda of Tupelo! Hummm