Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with CBR Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better CBRF? Tell us here. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR BIKE HERE.

Battery tender

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery tender

Better safe than sorry is what I think. Hey Fitz not everyone is able to ride it once a week. People do travel on vacations you know for weeks and months. Also there are other obligations such as school work like myself have to be focused on rather then taking that risk with liabilty on my bike now riding around the block and then wrecking. It is possible but if my bike is not fully covered I will not move. I dont take risks except buying the bike in the first place and even riding a bike to begin with. Other than that I am very cautious I dont know about how others feel out there about their bike.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM

I also just get out all 3 bikes & start them & even just up & down the driveway for a couple of times. I use a battery tender & rotate it between the 3 all the time.

Mechanical things like to RUN OFTEN!!! They will last so much longer if you start & operate all systems frequently. We're talking electrics here, relays, switches. Engine internals need regular operations to over 180F to boil off condensation (rust internally), etc. All bearings work better getting regularly turned & lubed from rolling.

Take 10 mins every other week & run your bike and just idle it up driveway at low speed & you will be amazed at how much better it lasts & operates.

PS: We do this in the jet world with our multimillion $$$ jets all the time.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also just take the other two bikes out once a week and run them down the street and back. although my g/f's F4i doesnt seem to last the entire week, until the weekend......so im going to get a battery tender for hers. my F4i, i still take out once a week and run it down the street. the RR, is daily riden year 'round here in MD.......no garage queen .

Old 12-13-2008, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Jet Jockey Z06 Vette

I also just get out all 3 bikes & start them & even just up & down the driveway for a couple of times. I use a battery tender & rotate it between the 3 all the time.

Mechanical things like to RUN OFTEN!!! They will last so much longer if you start & operate all systems frequently. We're talking electrics here, relays, switches. Engine internals need regular operations to over 180F to boil off condensation (rust internally), etc. All bearings work better getting regularly turned & lubed from rolling.

Take 10 mins every other week & run your bike and just idle it up driveway at low speed & you will be amazed at how much better it lasts & operates.

PS: We do this in the jet world with our multimillion $$$ jets all the time.

I have heard that startring them up is bad and it builds condensation. Even though you stated above^^ it boils off around 180F I still do not take the risk. I have heard that all that does is still mess the bike up because its not being ridden switched from gear to gear getting the oil properly circulating around the engine. So with that being said I winterize it and I will not touch it until april/May too cold I dont have full coverage anymore and the battery is out of the bike in my house on a tender.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 PM

^ i let mine warm up well past 120 before i take it out, i also take it up and down the road a few times going through 1st-6th. everything gets plenty warm and i get through the gears.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 AM

^^ wish I could do that but I took off my full coverage and theres no waayy im taking a chance riding my 6k+ bike down the road and god forbid i wreck it and have no money to fix it. The best thing for me is to winterize it and not touch it... I have heard by many people that is the best thing you can do is leave it alone

Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 AM

oh im not arguing w/ ya, lol. whatever works for you and is easiest for you, my friend.

my F4i has no tags or insurance either [:-]. its going to be my track bike come the spring.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:01 AM

WINTERIZE..
What is Winterizing??? Well I better go see if my bike has cooled down so I can put the cover on. Went on a 80 mile cruise earlier.
Oh Yeah, did I mention thatI live in SO.CALIF!!! 72degrees[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 12-14-2008, 02:50 PM

..........they are right about the rust on the chain....if you don't want it to rust get some oil...just regular motor oil or whatever, pour it on a rag and wipe it on your chain.....you are not trying to lube it, you are just want the oil to lay on the surface to keep the water from rusting it.....

however, I just run my ever three or four weeks...I run it, let it warm up to one full heat cycle at least....that means warm up all the way untill the fan kicks on, let the fan cool the bike, then turn it off....and I ride at least a little bit every two months during the winter....