F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Would you buy it...if you were me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for tires, talk to your local shop, sometimes they have rediculous deals. i personally recommend the reg pilot powers, if u arent doing the track you really dont need the 2cts, the reg pilot powers will last longer too. the 2cts are the same as the reg pilot powers in the middle but the outer compounds even softer. but there is nothing wrong with the 2cts

Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I will speak with my local shop and see if I can get any deals. I will probably go with the 2CT but if they have the regular pilot power in stock Il go with that.

As for chaining up the bike, I noticed a pillar near my car port where I can chain the bike/frame to..whats a good product/chain/cable to buy? I have personally had chains and locks "snipped" before and stolen on bicycles and the such so what will hold up to even lock cutter type stuff? Cable? Something I can buy locally. Also, what location is the best to put the chain on the bike/frame w/o scratching it.

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-04-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18
Whos the nice member here helpin ya???
hmmmmmm......i wonder who it could be........

i will be giving the bike a closer look than a doctor giving someone a colonoscopy.

im even bringing my stethoscope.

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

urr gonna get up that bikes tail pipe? That's just wrongin so many ways
lol

Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Ya so um interesting bike...and a classy experience! I'll let axsys give the details should he feel the urge

Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

????

Since there's no pics, I'm guessing you passed. So what's the story?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 PM

Well heres the skinny..
I'll preface this rant with the fact that the seller/owner has the bike stored in his friends garage and not at his house. He claims that he has recently moved and for whatever reason, his buddy will take good care of it. I took note of the odo miles today upon leaving.

Usually going to buy an auto or motorcycle should be a somewhat pleasurable experience right?...wrong...what you should expect is for the owner/seller to give you the run around and loopy shady contradicting stories. The runaround and not so clear stories pertain to the bikes history as well as making a sale should you offer the asking price! What you should also expect is to have the seller lean up against a car and smoke cigarettes all while making you feel like you are wasting HIS time. Questions are usually answered by "I dont know" or "ya everythings good" Now I dont want to give you the wrong impression because the owner himself claims that he does not know or care for this type of bike. He bought it off his friend to help his friend out with the intentions of riding/keeping it (he claims thats why he had the bike serviced at honda-truth to this service is pending) So his "I dont know" attitude is 1/4 truth and 3/4 "Im a jackass)
Axsys was nice enough to meet me up and then follow me over to the "deal" spot (bc it felt like a drug deal for some reason). Well we thought we were merely looking at a bike with the possibility that I may purchase it, I still at this point right now am not sure what the seller/owner had in mind. To make a long story short, after axsys looked it over and took it on a test ride, I offered the seller asking price of $3000. The seller let me know that he was not going to consider less and I took him for his word. I figured $3000 is a good deal given I would have to replace numerous things probably adding up to $8-900. I was willing to say F it and just buy the bike and fix er up as time goes by. I offered the $3000 and the seller then said that he had to wait for a few more people to come look at it to be "fair" to them. He told me he did not have the title on him because he could not stop by home coming from work to meet us. To me, if you want to sell a bike, you bring the title. To him, his cigarettes would suffice. It made sense that he couldnt make it home and to where the bike was in time to go back to work (another story..here we go) but he really didnt go out of his way to try and sell the bike is the point I'm making. He didnt go out of his way to get the title knowing he could have made a sale. Anyway, long story short, I walked away and he said he would let me know tonight if the others whom were coming to see the bike did not show or didnt offer him more. Now to the bike

The good:
Oil looked very new. Owner claims to have had Honda service all fluids 5 months ago. He did not have the receipt but this may be true due to condition/level of oil.
No visible frame damage or blemishes on any of the frame or motor/crankcase. All frame/motor bolts appeared to be stock and not tampered with
Bike started right up, idled good
Test drive by axsys seemed a-ok and smooth (possibly axsys can elaborate) aside from a front wheel/rim minor issue

The Bad:
Bike has def. been dropped but not layed down at speed it seemed. With no frame or case blemishes, as well as no major fairing rash, it seems it was merely dropped (dont know how many times) at a stand still or merely knocked over. Axsys seems to think the front wheel has hit a curb once or twice due to rim damage and tire, maybe dropped after hitting curb?
Small rash on left upper nose fairing as well as brake lever. slight scuff on left handlebar.
Front fork has a small scuff on each side as if he hit a curb. Axsys said the front rim/tire felt a little off when riding but nothing major. He suggests replacing the front rim and tire as well as the rear tire (no tread)
The chain was pretty loose.
CCT makes noise-needs replacing eventually
windshield needs replacing
clutch lever is malformed and bent slightly

K Im done rambling...maybe axsys can chime in and tell it how it went

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-05-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 PM

Update...dude just emailed me saying that no one showed up and the bike is mine should I want it...what are you guys thinking (It right off the bat needs a new front rim and both tires)

Later will need new clutch lever, windshield, chain tightened, CCT replaced and I "think" thats it

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-05-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 AM

the engine was pretty smooth while I was riding it, but the front tire felt like it wanted to go the opposite direction whenever I tried to counterbalance it at low speed turns. first time i've had to walk a bike in a u-turn in a long time...

bike had most of the tell tale signs of a low speed left side drop - scratched on front fairing near clipon, scratched bar end, scratched lever end. the brake lever was shaped like a banana. he must have hit a curb, because there was rash on the sides of the lower fork tubes, the rim was chewed up, and the front tire wasn't stock while the rear was.

the owner was the worst part of the experience. everytime i'd tell 600F4inoober something, such as "well, I can tell this bike has been dropped" he would just sit there and chat with his friend Jose and his Harley buddy, not even acknowledging the comment. definitely something funky goin on with him...

Last edited by axsys; 05-05-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 AM

So....with that being said....anyone want to comment on whether they would still take it for $3000?