F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Would you buy it...if you were me?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy it...if you were me?

So I wanted to start a new thread because all the other bikes I was looking at fell through. I did some thiniking and I took some advice that possibly my first bike does not have to be and should not be in mint condition. For fear and fact that most beginners drop or lay down their bike at least once, I started thinking maybe I should look for a "not so mint" but "nice" or "decent" F4i for a cheaper price. This way I wont feel so bad should I drop it or t get slight damage and I can also build the bike to my liking from the ground up.

I found this one (pics below) for what I think to be a good asking price. He is asking $3000. It has a Clean title and the current owner knows enough (but not everything) about its past. The VIN checks out to a 2001 600F4i. It has low miles (7,600). It is in not so great shape but as far as I can tell the frame has not been touched/scratched and the owner claims it has never been dropped or layed down (but again, he didnt know the first owner). I am going to look at it in person tonight and plan to bring cash. What do you guys think? It looks pretty dirty in the pics but he said it has been sitting in his garage for 5 months. He claims to have had it serviced for all fluids at the dealership just before he put it in storage 5 months ago. He also said he replaced the battery. He said he will look for the receipts. I should be able to check this with any honda dealership with the VIN correct? I just want to check if he is telling the truth should he not come up with the receipt! The front rim has a pinch and the back tire seems worn (not sure if its ever been replaced probably not)..

What would you do if you were in my position? (meaning a beginner not needing a MINT bike but rather a starter and platform to build upon)(I plan on completely changing the bikes color/fairings at a later date so the plastic scuffs dont really bother me)

I need some good advice from my jedi masters Oh ya, and it is 100% stock...but I'll know for sure tonight...What should I offer him ($) if it checks out?

Name:  2001F4i.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  117.5 KB
Name:  2001F4iodo.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  90.5 KB
Name:  2001F4iFairing.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  79.1 KB
Name:  2001F4iseat.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  144.8 KB
Name:  2001F4iTire.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  140.3 KB
Name:  2001F4iRim.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  131.3 KB

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-04-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 AM

id buy it for 3k
where is it at?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Provided everything in person met my satisfaction, I'd get it.

And no swooping the new guy's bike bubba

Old 05-04-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Provided everything in person met my satisfaction, I'd get it.

And no swooping the new guy's bike bubba
Ha...thats why I didnt answer Bubba's question Its in Canada bubba....ya canada...

Is there anything in specific I should look out for? Also, I heard the CCTensioner was the only common issue with the F4i (or that the sound is annoying rather than an actual defect)
Also, If I end up buying the bike, it looks like it needs a new rear tire..I read that a Pilot Power may be a good choice. Where is the best/cheapest place to purchase tires for these bikes? Thanks

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-04-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 AM

Check it out. If you're taking cash, take a friend. Don't let want override sense. Look for the majors: oil condition, suspension, startup

Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 AM

Oh yeah: don't try and ride it home. Whether you're ready to ride it or not, it prolly ain't ready to be ridden yet.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Oh yeah: don't try and ride it home. Whether you're ready to ride it or not, it prolly ain't ready to be ridden yet.
Oh Im not riding it...I wont even have my motorcycle license until monday! I am bringing a friend

What rear tire do you guys recommend? Ive heard good things about the Pilot power? Wheres the best/cheapest place to buy from?
Also, laugh it up..but I am wondering how you clean your bikes specifically the F4i? DO you just wash like a normal car but just be conscious of the electrical components? Or do you never put that much water on your bike and rather use a wet rag and go piece by piece? Thanks

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 05-04-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

3k sounds like a fair price. not incredible, but a good deal. mileage is low and body looks good, but it has no mods to consider and it looks like there are some initial investments to be made to make sure it's roadworthy. whether the engine is in primo condition -- that'd be the decider for me about knocking down my offer.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM

I don't think 3k heading into the summer is a bad price for that bike.

The CCT will start to rattle if it isn't already - you can replace them, (search APE Manual) but there are LOTS of examples of people just living with them. Mine rattles at about 5k rpms - I just use a gear that isn't in that range when cruising.

Check for oil leaks on the engine, and on the front fork seals, and the advice above was good - take a good look at the oil.

I kind of come and go on whether to by a stepping stone bike or not, but in your case I think you are buying it at such a price that you could ride it a year or two, and sell if without losing a ton of money, and if you inadvertently drop it, no problem. That being said I have never caused a scratch on a bike - knock on wood.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 AM

That seems like a really reasonable price even if it has been down. I would probably offer $2800 considering the rear tire is pretty worn. The scuff on the front fairing concerns me a bit. Pretty hard to scuff it there without going down. Look for any sign of scuffs on the crank case cover, fairing, frame, bent fairing stays, etc. Also look for if the fairing color matches the rest of the bike exactly.

For tires, I'm going with Michelin Pilot Road Twos. I just replaced the front and the rear will be later this week, so I can't give you a great review on them, but they're supposed to be a great all-around tire for mileage, traction in the twisties, etc. Motorcycle-superstore.com matches prices.

Search this Thread