F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Woot! Chain snapped on highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly have no reason to buy a $250+ racing chain for a bike I ride on the street. This is also made in Japan. If this were to snap, I'll just take it back to Cycle Gear and demand an exchange.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your choice, mnazary. But you got extremely lucky.

This ended ok this time. Minor torn plastics. What also happens when the chain breaks is for the chain to shoot forward into the engine. Or rather through the engine. Another likely scenario is for the broken chain to cause the rear wheel to seize completely. And there's the possibility of the chain whipping you physically as it decides what to do. What happened to the fairings could have been your body cause a chain moving at 6k+ RPMs will treat your body the same as it did the fairings: like butter.

Some things you can cheap out on. Some parts on the bike are such an integral part of its safe operation, it's better to just pay the cash. Keep an eye on eBay. There are usually chain + sprocket deals for good, well known quality components.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM

I understand that. I know somebody who has had his Orbit chain on his ZX-10r for quite a while, his bike has over 60k miles now. He has yet to have a problem. I did get extremely lucky but I seriously doubt this is a low quality grade product. I have done some research and Orbit is an in house brand of Cycle Gear that is apparently manufactured by RK in Japan but rebranded for Cycle Gear under the name Orbit. That is why most people haven't heard of it.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok cool. Just so you realize being able to demand a refund on another broken chain or that being the least of your worries are low

Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 PM

Yeah, haha that is true. I still need to find out if that chain was just linked or pressed.

BTW, thanks for everybody's input. I still have to make a plan to find that chain on the highway. It is a fairly high traffic highway.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
What do you mean the officer was a real badass? Was he copping an attitude or was he just really cool??

And what joelacer is trying to say is...the brand that snapped, would it not give some piece of mind to maybe go with a different brand? By your own admittance you don't know why it snapped...so perhaps a different brand of chain may be a smart move.
Once again, RunwayOneSix and I are thinking along the same lines. Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. You put it so much more eloquently, though.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I read the title of your post, I was expecting the worst. Sounds like you experienced the best possible senario for your chain breaking & "falling" away. I motocrossed in my younger days & had a chain break on me. It smacked the backside of my left boot at the achilles. Had I not had boots on, it would have injured me for life! Needless to say, I've always constantly worried about chains on all of my bikes since then. As a result, I constantly clean, lube, & inspect them. Still, a chain can break w/o any warning or diligence on your part.

As recommended by others, I'd get a good quality chain. You were lucky this time. I certainly wouldn't ever use that same brand chain again...no matter what the name or how its rebranded.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mnazary
I honestly have no reason to buy a $250+ racing chain for a bike I ride on the street.
You need to stay away from cyclegear then. I paid about $120 for my super duper high tensile strength, better then everything else, gold XW ring RK chain. Now this might be because it was a 520, I never checked 525's. But with the extra tensile strength why not go 520 anyways right?

Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLY crap! you alright?!!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Well if the bike was running a 525 chain can I switch to 520? Or does that require new sprockets or something?

Quick Reply: Woot! Chain snapped on highway