F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Woot! Chain snapped on highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randyjoy
What style was the Master Link? Clip or rivet?
i'd like to know too...

Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 PM

You are some lucky...I have had friends that almost lost their leg when it happened...Broke the leg, engine case and broke several other things on the bike....Those chains are weapons and can cause some real damage...I would not take it so lightly....Get a EK or RK chain and make sure you get the good links...( rivet one I believe is the safest) ...and have it put on by a pro unless you have the proper tools...You don't want to mess around with tires or chains....My 2 cents.....good luck and glad to hear you did not get hurt or someone else for that matter...Cheers...Andy

Old 03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 DID all the way!!

Only thing I can think of on a newish chain... clip master link instead of rivet? It's a big no-no on bikes but people do it. Did you happen to find the old chain to inspect it?

Also, I'm assuming since it wasn't mentioned that you didn't take any damage from the chain snapping? Thank your lucky stars!! I had a chain snap on my 250r atv once and take a a hole to the crank case (even though it had a steel chain guard like our bikes do). JB welded that sucker up and all was well but not a fun experience..

Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Wait, so your chain snapped and you're telling me you didn't go get it?? I would have been too curious about what happened to NOT go get it... even if it WAS on a freeway.

+1 on being lucky though

Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by itgbudeev
I would have been too curious about what happened to NOT go get it... even if it WAS on a freeway.
+1. I went back and got mine. The temporary clip link [hadn't had time to get a rivit yet] was still on there nice and snug, a pin in the pre-assembled chain had sheared right off.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got home from work. There was quite a bit of traffic and the officers blocked off only so much of the lane. I'm thinking about going back tonight to find it. The officers were badass as in they were really cool. I sat shotgun with one of them for over an hour while we waited for my tow truck.

I inspected the bike more today, luckily no real mechanical damage from what it appears. My real cowl got real gashed up and so did the plastic chain cover. I was really lucky to not take any hits off of that. I know several people who run this chain with no problem.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1..._XSO-525-120_G

If you guys are saying this is an awful brand, then I'll return it right now and order one of the recommended chains. I have a friend who has a chain press tool also so I know 100% that it is gonna be pressed this time.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mnazary
Just got home from work. There was quite a bit of traffic and the officers blocked off only so much of the lane. I'm thinking about going back tonight to find it. The officers were badass as in they were really cool. I sat shotgun with one of them for over an hour while we waited for my tow truck.

I inspected the bike more today, luckily no real mechanical damage from what it appears. My real cowl got real gashed up and so did the plastic chain cover. I was really lucky to not take any hits off of that. I know several people who run this chain with no problem.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1..._XSO-525-120_G

If you guys are saying this is an awful brand, then I'll return it right now and order one of the recommended chains. I have a friend who has a chain press tool also so I know 100% that it is gonna be pressed this time.

I have an EK xring gold chain and love it...It is pricey however has been on my bike for 2 years now and does not stretch....It is an amazing chain...Made in Japan and you can tell it is high quality....

Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without seeing the old chain and where it snapped, it's hard to say anything about the chain manufacturer. Could have been a clip failure (since you don't know if it had one). Could have been a structural failure.

I've never heard of Orbit chains myself. But if I had a RK chain and it snapped, the next one would be a DID. Having just made a withdraw from the Luck Bank, I'd not be trying to head back by doing things the same as before.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM

Not familiar with the Orbit brand, but the tensile strength is where it should be, it's X-Ring, and it's Rivet. Generally, I've had good luck with stuff CycleGear carries.

I personally use DID ERV3 on my 600 but it's a bit pricey.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:27 PM

I for one...would NOT be investing in an Orbit chain...I just bought 525 Renthal front sprockets and JT rear sprockets. Now I need to buy a chain...and why are 525 chains so expensive?!?!? where is everyone buying their chains at?!

Quick Reply: Woot! Chain snapped on highway