F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Wonder why Honda quit making the F4i?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR Kelowna
Next time you are in, make an offer. Worst thing they can do is say no and maybe laugh a little. You can laugh that they still have it.
I did laugh when i saw it last time actually... I forgot I will be there saturday they are hosting their "upgrade event" which consists of free food and demo rides. Won't be looking at picking it up though. I love my red/black '04 F4i, got it 2 seasons ago with only 3300 miles on it. Might as well of been new without the price tag.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 AM

Sportbikes arent about comfort, they are about performance. The F4i was at the bottom of the totem pole in the sportsbike comparisons. Pretty easy decision to discontinue the bike.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM

My first bike was a 2001 red/black f4i, loved it, but my buddy had an RR so next season I sold my F4i and baught a 2005RR. Had that for half a season, didnt like it! Period, no room under the seat for anything, and wasn't comfortable to ride AT all. Sold it, and went back to the F4i. Now I own a black/silver 2001 F4i and I will probably have it for a very long time unless my girlfriend gets pregnant!

In my opinion the F4i is a superior bike for comfortability and a little bit of storage. I can still beat my buddys 2005RR in a race as well

Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bikes at work are an 07 600rr, 08 GSX-R600 and an 09 HD Softail. When all the bikes are there, people begin comparing them naturally. Last year when I showed up with the 95 F3, I got hit with the "BumbleBee" jokes (think there's a pic in my gallery of the hideous rattlecan yellow paint). And dismissed. When she changed to silver, I got "nice job" and dismissed.

Tues. everyone had the bikes up at the office (sans gixxer who had accident #4 round Thanksgiving). I pulled in with the 06 F4i and went to my locker. Come out to get into my work truck to find everyone around my F4i and the 600rr pulled next to it for comparison. Maybe its the color scheme but most were saying they like the F4i more. And the 600rr owner liked the ergos better when I let him sit on her.

I think Honda is missing a part of the market by dropping the F4i line. Despite the international prejudice, not all Americans are bout squeezing as much power out of their wallet as they can afford. But then I also think Honda should sell their 250s over here too so what do I know?

I'm happy. That's what counts

Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I think Honda is missing a part of the market by dropping the F4i line. Despite the international prejudice, not all Americans are bout squeezing as much power out of their wallet as they can afford. But then I also think Honda should sell their 250s over here too so what do I know?

I'm happy. That's what counts
agreed..not all of us want the lower clipons and higher pegs (although the RR is certainly not the ancient torture device that some supersports can be). While I will be the first to admit that the front end of the 600RR is one of the sexiest out there.. (the headlights and fairing make the bike look so f*in pissed off!), the overall F4i is so hot. Its interesting that 1 year after the RR intro the F4i went back to the banana seat, almost as if to help solidify its status as the 'streeter' vs the Race Ready... Im sure that sales dropped off, and the market now must demand a replacement or there is no reaason for any ressurection..

In a perfect world, I would have an RR and an F4i.. F4i for the commute and cruising and the RR to scare the neighbors and get out some aggression at 15K rpm.

JMHO.. but then again I ride a carbed bike...

Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 PM

let's face it, most 600s are sold for appearance. the meaner, edgier, sexier looking design is going to sell better. the F4i might as well be a VFR next to an RR, or anything from the other camps.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I Break Forum Rules

Can you imagine being a manufacturer competing in the 600 race replica market? Before the economy tanked they were doing redesigns from the ground up every, what, two years?

During the F4i’s tenure it got cannibalized by 600RR and was competing against multiple iterations of Ninjas, GSX-R’s and R6’s. Once it was marketed as a light sport-tourer it competed against the YZF600R, two versions of ZZR600 and a slew of middleweight sportbikes (FZ’s, GSF’s, SV’s and Z’s). I say it did quite well.

I’ve always been a bit of a Honda basher. Their prices are always higher and some of their technology is just plain silly. They're getting what they deserve with Pedrosa after the way they treated Rossi and Hayden. That said, none of the other Japanese manufacturers match their build quality.

Last edited by pearsonm; 04-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM

Well I'm just reporting back. Went back to the dealer today and the brand new yellow/black '06 f4i they have is listed at $5,499

Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Close but prolly can get it for 5k if you finance. Got my 06 with 2.5k milesd for $4500 cash.

Pretty soon, safe bet you'll see it on eBay if they sell bikes there. Prolly for the stupid price of $1, $5,500 reserve and the right to end the auction early if it sells off the lot

Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Honda is really missing out. The modern supersports bikes have gone too far IMO, in their quest to shave every milligram of weight and squeeze out that last .001% of performance, sacrificing rideability for a competitive edge that will never be seen except by professional testers on a track.

Meanwhile, the FZ6, FZ1, Ninja 650R, SVs, and Z series are all out there eating Honda's lunch in a market segment Honda can't even really play in. The VFR is in a class by itself (the "heavy, high tech, freakin expensive class), the CBF1000 wasn't available in the US as far as I know and may not be available period anymore -- if Honda has anything else that's not a supersport, cruiser or bagger I'm not aware of it.

There are plenty of 30+ people like myself who want sporty bikes with a more comfortable riding position and less peaky engine than a typical supersport, and Honda seems to be ignoring this demographic. Which is a shame, considering the amount of disposable income compared to the average supersport-buying youngster But their loss is the other companies' gain, especially now with Ducati and Triumph prices so competitive.

Quick Reply: Wonder why Honda quit making the F4i?