F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winterizing the F4i

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a fun challange. Since this is a depressing thread as is, see who can ride the longest. Grab a local paper at you nearest gas station and post your pics. i would say anyone above the masion dixon line is eligable to do this since they get snow and ice.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll put the bike away when it's consistently below freezing at 6 am when I leave for work. Which should be soon.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Its a must to get the old oil out of the bike befor it sitts any amount of time(about 2 weeks) after awille condensation builds in the engine, that is not the time to start the bike, UNLESS you preheat the eniing, you gota try to remove the condensation befor start up, I know how i do it but im not gonna put it in print due to the fact i down want somebody smokin pist at me cause they melted ther cowling.
way to many aircraft piston engines are started in winter months with not preheating them,,,they never make t.b.o(to be overhauled) ofcourse we are talking about winter up north,.pm me and ill tell u how to keep ur motor condensation free ALL winter.,,

Old 09-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just share buddy. we're all friends here.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Yes, please, I'd love to hear also. Always something new to learn.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:54 AM

Just suck it up, buy a full carhart suit and warm gloves and ride that bitch like she owes you money all winter long!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 PM

Just suck it up, buy a full carhart suit and warm gloves and ride that bitch like she owes you money all winter long!
+1 i already have mine...dont think the brown will match the silver/black bike but who cares ill be warm

Old 10-12-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by aircraft mech
Its a must to get the old oil out of the bike befor it sitts any amount of time(about 2 weeks)
That is the most overkilled thing I have ever read on the internet.

Everything I own routinely sits for more than 2 weeks and I have NEVER experienced any problems.

My RX-7 often sits for months (in fact one year I put less than 7 miles on it). My bike often sits for months. My 4-Wheeler often sits for months. My XJR often sits for months. My Boat often sits for months, and I have never once had any ill-effects on any of them. I keep fresh filters and fresh oil in EVERYTHING, and with the boat I always change the oil and filters at the beginning of the season after winter layup.

If you are petrified of condensation change the oil at the beginning of the season whether or not you are at a scheduled maintenance interval.

It is much better to have engine oil sitting in the engine than to leave all the bare metal exposed and subject to rust.

Last edited by Seafordguy; 10-12-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Well I finally broke down...I paid the 180 dollars and let the pros take care of it for the winter. The 180 included secure, heated winter storage, fogging of the engine, removal and trickle charge of the battery, and in the spring: Oiling of the chain, start-up to make sure everything is working properly and a full inspection (brakes, fluids etc.).

Old 10-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^You shouldn't have caved. You could save more than half just by doing all that yourself. Including buying everything like the trickle charger and oil

Quick Reply: Winterizing the F4i