F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Winterizing

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to riding/being an owner. I have a 2004 F4i with just over 2500 miles on it.

I'm in a similar situation with a similar question, but from the replies, I think I will leave my oil in because it has just been changed and it only has about 125 miles on it.

I do have another set of questions.

As for the battery, I don't have a charger of any sort, and was given some advise as to just disconnect it for the winter. I'm in Pennsylvania, USA and I will be storing it until about mid-late march - mid-April, then it will probably be riding season again. Will just disconnecting my battery be okay for the winter? or, should I remove it and keep it in my basement? My bike will be in my non-heated, non-insulated garage all winter.

Also, about the spark plugs. Some winterizing instructions suggest to remove them, put some oil or fogging oil in the chambers and then reinstall the plugs. Is this necessary?

I will add fuel stabilizer to some new fuel. Will this be sufficient.

So, here is what I will do.

1. Leave the oil in since it is fairly new and change it in the spring.
2. Add fuel stabilizer as per carton instructions.
3. My bike sits on plywood in my garage (well at least the back tirewhich is incidentally new), so I guess that is alright.
4. Disconnect by battery.
5. Cover my bike with a generic weatherproof cover.
6. My bike is a little dusty, so I will spray clean it. It has a brand-new paint job, so I will probably not wax it, unless it is recommended to do so anyway.

If there are any other helpful instructions you all can give me, that would be greatly appreciate.

Great forum by the way.

Here is a picture:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think as far as the stands go, it wouldnt be so much for tire temp. You said that you need new tires anyways so it wouldnt really matter. The reason for the stands and concrete would be that the tire absorbs moisture from the concrete, therefor if left on the ground the tires would dry rot faster just from sitting.

Read this, some of it can be used for our application and it explains why changing your oil BEFORE putting it up. I wouldnt go to maybe such extremes, but this should help
http://mikes-show-n-shine.blogspot.c...ntage-car.html

Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Before winter, I personally (not necessarily in order):
Remove battery and bring inside house to put on tender (garage is cold and uninsulated)
Clean bike
Fuel stabilizer in tank, and ensure it runs into system
Put up on stands
May/May not change oil before vs. after winter
Put bike on front & rear stands
Cover bike

Back when I first bought my bike, I referenced this link often to give me ideas http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.html

Old 11-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Yep, like i said earlier pretty much what i do as well, except i do change oil before hand. (one less thing you have to hassle w before taking her out in the spring )

Old 11-18-2008, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: supersnake83

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to riding/being an owner. I have a 2004 F4i with just over 2500 miles on it.

I'm in a similar situation with a similar question, but from the replies, I think I will leave my oil in because it has just been changed and it only has about 125 miles on it.

I do have another set of questions.

As for the battery, I don't have a charger of any sort, and was given some advise as to just disconnect it for the winter. I'm in Pennsylvania, USA and I will be storing it until about mid-late march - mid-April, then it will probably be riding season again. Will just disconnecting my battery be okay for the winter? or, should I remove it and keep it in my basement? My bike will be in my non-heated, non-insulated garage all winter.

Also, about the spark plugs. Some winterizing instructions suggest to remove them, put some oil or fogging oil in the chambers and then reinstall the plugs. Is this necessary?

I will add fuel stabilizer to some new fuel. Will this be sufficient.

So, here is what I will do.

1. Leave the oil in since it is fairly new and change it in the spring.
2. Add fuel stabilizer as per carton instructions.
3. My bike sits on plywood in my garage (well at least the back tirewhich is incidentally new), so I guess that is alright.
4. Disconnect by battery.
5. Cover my bike with a generic weatherproof cover.
6. My bike is a little dusty, so I will spray clean it. It has a brand-new paint job, so I will probably not wax it, unless it is recommended to do so anyway.

If there are any other helpful instructions you all can give me, that would be greatly appreciate.

Great forum by the way.

Here is a picture:

[IMG][/IMG]

I definetely would recommend buying a tender and just hooking it up to the battery and keeping it plugged up until riding season since it has a float charge meaning it wont over charge it but maintain its power at a consistent level. Thats very important. If you just unhook your battery and leave it, it will lose charge. Its just like leaving a cellphone off for a long time without charging it see what happens

Old 11-18-2008, 02:53 PM

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.html

Thats quite the find, good read for newbies

Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the info.

I have another question or two.

About the battery, if I unhook it the battery, keep it in the houseand recharge it in the spring, would thatbe okay or does it risk letting the battery go to waste because it wouldn't have had maintaineda constant charge?

Again, my oil is still under 125 miles of riding from a fresh change with a new filter, so I'll change the oil in the spring or late winter just before riding season. Would that be okay or is it better to still change the oil since I've ridden on it?

Good info about the tires because I didn't know that. My tires will be sitting on wood this winter as I don't have any stands yet, but I will buy them before next riding season so I can have them to do my normal maintenance.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:42 PM

Battery will be fine, id charge at least once a month. If you dont have one, go out and buy a volt meter in order to test. Re oil, hmmm if it only has 125 miles since change, id prob leave it, but it never hurts putting fresh stuff in

Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info. I have a volt-meter. I will buy a charger. If the battery tender is not too much more money, then I will buy that instead. Just trying to save a buck or two for now.

About the oil. Since you guys talk much about the oil, is it recommended to change the oil before riding after the winter sit, even if you change it now, before the winter?

I was under the impression that the oil in motorcycles is similar to that of cars (on a smaller scale of course) that if the oil sit for a long time (long being 2-4 months) that it should be changed before driving again. I know that it is recommended to change the oil if it has a lot of miles on it before letting it sit for the winter because it breaks down, the viscosity changes, moisture and particle buildup (to say the least), but if you change it before the winter, do many of you change it after the winter or do you just start riding it without changing the oil?

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM

Personally i just change before storing, and just ride in the summer. Tech its rec to change again, that being said use cheap stuff for winter, then before riding replace w a good synthetic etc. Maybe if i had an 08RR i would follow that, but for now ill stick w changing once before winter storing.

On a side not, this damn winter had better pass fast!! always love that first ride!!!!

Quick Reply: Winterizing