F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

I live in Germany and oil is very expensive. I changed my oil and filter at the beginning of the season with Royal Purple full synthetic. I only probably put around 1500 miles on the bike. I'm preparing to store my bike for the winter probably until at leastmid-April. Any suggestion whether I shouldchange my oil before I store it.I know it's recommended, but does synthetic make adifference. If Ichange it with synthetic again should I change it again in the spring. Any knowledge is appreciated.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Default RE: Winterizing

I usually change my oil before I put the bike up and then change it again, since its been sitting all winter long, when I start riding again.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 AM

Why do people do that? Put new oil in, and then drain it out and throw it away? What is wrong with new oil sitting in the engine, and then being used? Condensation? Im planning on putting mine away soon.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:50 AM

Change the oil and filter before you put it up but don't change it again before your ride in the spring, that just seems wasteful.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 AM

Everyones gonna say that engine combustion acids are gonne eat up your engine from being used, but I have yet to have any issues from used oil. Its oil, and these are just bikes so no worries. Just keep her outta the snow any go hug her once and a while thru the cold to let her know you love her

Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM

My thought is it really depends on where your bike is stored, and at what temperature. Is it in a temperature controlled environment? Then it's probably fine to leave the same oil in there. If the bike is temperature cycling, i.e. parked somewhere where the sun heats it up in the day, and it cools to winter temperatures at night, this would cause changes related to condensation and atmospheric humidity that could affect the oil.

But the difference is going to be negligible, especially so with synthetic oil...

Then again, I have no concept of what you mean by winter, as here in San Diego it will be perfect riding weather year round, except for a few days of rain here and there which the locals call "winter". (am I making anyone jealous?)

the blonde weasel

Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Put it up on stands, cover it up, stabil the fueland change it in the spring.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Mine will be up on stands, covered, in a non-heated shed in the backyard. Temp goes from 50 to negative 20 in the winter here. It wont be exposed to the sun, any may be stored for 2 or 4 months.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: some guy #2

Change the oil and filter before you put it up but don't change it again before your ride in the spring, that just seems wasteful.
Im sure the reason why the say change it again in the spring is because oil loses its viscosity even when its just sitting. I would change it before riding it. Thats why w/ cars it every 3,000 or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM

I winterize my lawn mower and other gas powered yard equipment by letting it sit in the shed all winter. No oil change, no fuel stabilizer, nothing, and I've been doing it like this for about ten years.

And you know what?

Everything works fine in the spring when I use it again. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Winterizing