F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Winterizing

I live in Michigan and have been a bike owner for 2 months now and have not been able to get a strait answer from anyone around where I live so I did what seemed right to me which was to put fuel stabilizer in it fill the tank up and ride it 4 miles home. then when I got here I put it in my house so it is the same temp all winter, hooked up a battery tender then covered it with blankets. I didn't worry about stands because I need new tires in the spring anyway. also I did not change the oil as I planed to change the oil before I start riding it again.

If there is something else I should do please let me know.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 AM

The only reason for really putting the bike on stands, is the tires are touching the concrete and the tires absorbs the coldness of the ground. If you ever get a warm day to ride, your tires are ice cold and when you ride, they could slip out from under your bike. This happened to me 2 years ago. It was 70 degrees out in January, I took my bike out and it was like I had hit a patch of ice and I went down right in front of my house. So if you think you don't need stands, and your going to get new tires. You might get a warm day and want to ride, get some stands. 35 bucks on ebay for a rear and about 30 for a front stand.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:38 AM

Anyone else take their battery out too?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:40 AM

You don't need to take the battery out, get a battery tender to plug it in.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Anyone else take their battery out too?
If I had an outlet in my garage that was close enough I wouldn't. I hate re-connecting my battery.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Go to the store and get an extension cord

Old 11-16-2008, 03:01 AM

So if you think you don't need stands, and your going to get new tires. You might get a warm day and want to ride,

while I do agree with your statement it doesn't really apply to me for 2 reasons.
1. my bike is on carpet in my house and
2. my rear tire has cords showing all the way around so I won't ride it until I get new ones in the spring.
But I do plan on getting stands next year as well.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

The only reason for really putting the bike on stands, is the tires are touching the concrete and the tires absorbs the coldness of the ground. If you ever get a warm day to ride, your tires are ice cold and when you ride, they could slip out from under your bike. This happened to me 2 years ago. It was 70 degrees out in January, I took my bike out and it was like I had hit a patch of ice and I went down right in front of my house. So if you think you don't need stands, and your going to get new tires. You might get a warm day and want to ride, get some stands. 35 bucks on ebay for a rear and about 30 for a front stand.
$65 for a set of stands? Linky please. I paid about $200 for a set of front and rear pitbulls. Well worth it, these things will last me the rest of my life.

tbw

Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 AM

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I got mine two years ago for about that price and it was an auction, so if you are able to watch an auction. Yes you can get a good deal.

You bikes on carpet, thats a whole different story, and your cords are showing. You probably want to get some tires put some on this winter. You will find some good deals now that its getting colder.

http://www.ridenow.com/results/b2c-s...ampaign=flyout

Old 11-16-2008, 10:11 AM

I put her up on stands, (only have rear one for now) fuel stab in, remove farings (to clean), change oil/filter, and coverbike. Re battery i just remove it, and keep in my bsmt shop room. The battery charger i have is to charge up, not the type you can keep plugged in 24/7. I prob should get one of those, as i have an outlet in my shed. Ive heard various opinions Re oil change etc. According to the Honda Manual, they suggest changing before storing AND after. Also ive read if you leave old oil in all winter it breaks down/ acid forming etc?. Ive always changed before storing, once spring comes, i through battery in, put farings on and fire her up
She's been stored for only a few weeks now but im missing her already (she's know as the "mistress")well at least thats what my wife refersto it as,LOL

Quick Reply: Winterizing