F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Winter tear down pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tear down pics

My bike suffered some cosmetic damage this summer, I'm not gonna lie I dropped it a few times, but luckily it was always one of those stupid mistakes at 5mph or less. I'm sure everyone knows the feeling of when your pant leg gets caught or your foot goes into a pothole at a stop sign and next thing you know you're holding the bike a foot from the ground and you can't save it. Anyways I'm buying new fairings this winter and installing them. I'm also going to replace the CCTL and I'll add pics of that when I do it. So with out further adieu here's the pictures and the state of the bike so far.

The before shot, dented gas tank and a little rash. What you can't see is the cracks and broken mounting tabs in the front from when a guy backed into it at worked and pushed it out of his way.

Idk how the PO scratched the gauges like this

Damage from when it got backed into. Replacing this mounting bracket.

Pieces

After shots

That's it for now. My brother-in-law has a body shop that I may take the tank to to have fixed or I may find one on ebay. Thinking I'll probably get the fairings from CBRfairings.com heard good things about them. Thanks for looking and if anyone want's a picture for a reference for something let me know and I'll get what I can. I'll update this once I remove the tank and begin the CCTL replacement.

Last edited by Kevwa451; 01-07-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always good to see a bike get some good TLC.

The tank doesn't look too bad (hard to tell in pics). However, it will all depend if your BIL can fix & paint it for less than the cost of a replacement.

Going w/a new color scheme or staying same?

Look forward to your updates & re-build progress.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Nice bike man, I love the red/white F4i's. Sucks that someone backed into her. Some sh*twad knocked mine over at school last spring. It went over on the kickstand side so someone really gave it a push. Best of luck with the repairs.

By the way, what are you planning on doing with the old fairings?

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
The tank doesn't look too bad (hard to tell in pics). However, it will all depend if your BIL can fix & paint it for less than the cost of a replacement.

Going w/a new color scheme or staying same?
I'm gonna stick with the same color scheme, I've looked at different ones but one of the reasons I bought this bike was because I liked the red and white. The dent really isn't too bad but I'll see what he can do. If it's too much I'll just buy a replacement.

As for the old fairings I'll probably just throw them away. The nose fairing is completely toast, all the tabs were broken and it pretty much fell off the bike when I started undoing things. The side fairings aren't in too bad of shape so maybe I'll hold on to them but we'll see. I also plan on changing the levers this winter too at some point.

*The fairings have found their way to the dump so as of right now I don't have anything I can sell, sorry guys*

Last edited by Kevwa451; 01-07-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM

f4i look so good naked.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 PM

Ordered the APE manual cct the other day and it's supposed to be here tomorrow so I figured I'd get a jump start on that today. Removed the tank and airbox completely to try and make things a little easier. Hopefully I'll have time to take the tank down to my brother-in-laws shop this week and have him look at it. I'm also going to do a coolant flush, found out my water pump seeps just a little bit. So I ordered a new gasket and my buddy gave me 4 quarts of Honda coolant awhile back when he sold his RR. Thought it was the pink stuff but I cracked open a bottle and it's green like what's in my bike so that worked out pretty well. Here's some more pictures for lookin at.

A better view of the tank dents

Some scuffs from the seat being removed

I spy with my little eye, intake valves

Hooray fuel injection

Looks so much narrower without the ram air ducts.

And this little guy was way easier to remove than I thought it'd be thanks in part to this F4i CCT Swap - pictures/directions - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Now I'm just waiting on parts and for my tax refund, once I get that I'm ordering the new fairings and probably some roll-click levers. More updates later this week probably.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Ho so much fun look at mine!!
Name:  IMG_0237.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  57.3 KB

Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Hahah whooa, at least it's in your kitchen, what's the occasion?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM

complete maintenance! Checking everything.. Also cleaning everything.. :P ... i crashed it 2 years ago .. so have to change left cover.. also leaking from water pump.. ! I finished building my track bike 3 week ago so i had nothing to do haha
Name:  IMG_0219.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  400801_10150693347693765_504263764_12144055_1328373064_n.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  60.4 KB
Name:  IMG_01501.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  60.6 KB

Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Oooh nice, I'm jealous of your working space. A lot more would get done on my bike if I could work on it in my sleep attire after I get home from work haha. I just topped the 1000 dollar mark for parts and maintenance items with a used OEM headlight from Ebay. The list is now just new levers and possibly bar ends. Pays off being 21 living at home without a girl friend I guess haha.

Quick Reply: Winter tear down pics